Beer names...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthieBrewer79

Reaction score
Hey guys Iim just wondering, if you brew from a kit like I did (going to try my first batch Saturday, a brewed a German ALt) do you guys give names to your beer? One example: if you brewed a "Red ALe" from brewers best then called it Rediculous Red Ale... is that what you guys do? Or is everything with a name and PG or AG receipe? :drunk:

I've created LONGBEARD BREWING COMPANY! I'm going to trademark and servicemark the name! Make T shirts and hats etc.... just brew my homebrew and give it to family and freinds!

I have only made 1 beer straight from a kit, most times I research a style I want to make and then come up with something that fits those guidelines. Sometimes I'll take someone's recipe on here and brew it up. But almost every time I name the beer something unique to me. Its fun to do and all my friends enjoy helping out.

Right now I'm doing a system that I really like, and so does the wife, but I know most here will hate it.

I'm naming them a letter (or two) and a number. So for example I recently did three hefeweizen's to which I made each recipe and each is slightly different. I have to have a way to name them if I ask the wife to get me one while I'm outside so I named them H1, H2, and H3. I figured I'd keep using that system for each new recipe I do. I've got two Belgian Wit's in the fermenters now and will call them BW1 and BW2 (since I will be doing other belgians in the future.

SWMBO thinks it's really catchy - "I'd like an H2 please" :D Again though, I know a lot won't like it since it's kind of a simplistic obscure name for each beer rather than an embellishing name. But I never got names that were totally out there like "The King's Angry Jester Ale" - just made that up so don't bother Googling it :p

Rev.

I'm a giant geek. I give all my beers Klingon-themed names - Disruptor, Black Bat'leth, Khitomer Pale Ale, etc. One of the friends that got me into homebrewing is actually Miss Klingon Empire 2007. She doesn't name any of her beers.

If YOU brew it it's YOUR beer. If you get a kick out of naming your brews for whatever reason than go for it. If you want just a simple way to keep track of your beers than go for a simple numbering system like Rev2010 does. Personally I'm a Seinfeld geek and thus all of my beers have Seinfeld inspired names whether they are kits or my own recipes. I get a kick out of writing what I consider witty names for them but if it's not your thing then don't bother.

... But I never got names that were totally out there like "The King's Angry Jester Ale" - just made that up so don't bother Googling it :p

HAHAHAHA! Your naming convention has its merits. Simple, effective, and efficient. Names that are "out there" don't tell me a thing about the product. Catchy is cute but it's nice to have a clear idea of the beverage BEFORE i drink it. If someone offered me a "Widowmaker's Black Lace Petticoat" and it turned out to be an extremely hopped IPA, I'd like the chance to politely decline said offering rather than take one drink then discreetly look for the nearest potted plant in which to dump it.

alot of the beers i brew are from a fit just for the convenience standpoint. i have brewed from a kit with some modifications/additional ingredients before. within the past 6 months i have found myself naming my brews. :mug:

Back