My first American Lite American Lager - AG; any thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipatch

Reaction score
I just got back from my LHS the other day, and the guy gave me a recipe for a Lite American Lager - All Grain, and a Pumpkin Spiced Ale. I went ahead and purchased all the ingredients for the Lite American Lager.

The ingredients are as follows:

5lbs. 2-Row
1lb. Corn Sugar

2/3 oz. Mt. Hood - 60 minutes
1/3 oz. Mt. Hood - 5 minutes

American Pilsner Lager 840 WLP840 Liquid Yeast

The instructions state to pitch yeast in room temperature wort and let ferment for 5-7 days. Then rack to secondary and bring water down to 40F over two days and let ferment for 3-4 weeks.

My question is, am I suppose to let this beer ferment for 5-7 days primary at room temp because my thermostat is set at 82F in the house. Or is there a desired temp? Any modifications to the recipe/steps that could make the beer taste better would greatly appreciated.

Yea, I think he means pitch at room temp and then ferment at 50-55F for 5-7 days.. unless you like butter in your beer. After fermentation is done, you can take the temp down to 40F for lagering.

Yea, I think he means pitch at room temp and then ferment at 50-55F for 5-7 days.. unless you like butter in your beer. After fermentation is done, you can take the temp down to 40F for lagering.

Thanks, and I am definitely going to call the LHS sometime tomorrow.

If you don't have a fermentation chamber so the lager yeast can be at the right temp, I hear it will be nasty. Never done it.
There are some ale yeast that can be fermented at 62 for a clean taste profile.
Anyways, good luck!

American Pilsner Lager 840 WLP840 Liquid Yeast

That strain should be fermented at 50-55°F. Pitching at "room temperature" is counterproductive, since spoilage organisms grow faster than lager yeasts at those temps, and most of the flavor-active fermentation by-products are produced during the early stages of the ferment.

Bring the wort down to ferment temp or slightly lower before oxygenating and pitching the slurry from an appropriate sized starter. The starter can ferment at room temp since you will pour out the starter beer.

If you don't have a fermentation chamber so the lager yeast can be at the right temp, I hear it will be nasty. Never done it.
There are some ale yeast that can be fermented at 62 for a clean taste profile.
Anyways, good luck!

Actually :D

fermStationPanorama1000x.png

Back