Pilsner & Munich malt with American Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lenny2884

Reaction score
Just got my hands on a bunch of Pilsner and Munich malt but am setup to lager just yet. Anyone have success making something with pilsner and munich with american hops? Hops I currently have in stock are Cenntennial, Cascade, Amarillo, Columbus, and Simcoe. Also have some Magnum which I use primarily for bittering. I only have WLP001 and S-05. Looking to brew either thursday or friday and probably won't be able to get to the homebrew shop before then. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Troeg's hopback amber is pilsner, munich, american hops and yeast and is great. Different hops, but you def could make a good american amber out of what you got.

Sure, no problem. I used to use Pils as my base malt on a lot of ale without any troubles. I'll be picking up a 110 pound bag of Pils malt here later this week to try out and I don't generally make lagers.

If the malt tastes good, you're good to go. People tend to misunderstand Pils malt. It's paler in color but that doesn't mean it's only for lagers. A lot of Belgian beers also use Pils malt: Chimay, Westmalle, Duvel, Rochefort, etc.

Fear not the Pils malt!

One caveat, you need to get a decent rolling boil and have the lid at least partially off of the kettle during the boil to make sure to clear up any DMS. I never had a problem with it though. You can Google and read up on this if you're curious.

I love all of Troegs' beers, especially the Nugget Nectar. Tried to clone it a few months back and it turned out really nice, just a few slight changes I'd make to it. Maybe I'll make something similar to their pale ale being that it has a Pilsner and Munich base with cascade hops. I never realized they use pilsner as their base malt for nearly all their beers.

Back