Where are All the Women?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treehouse

Reaction score
I've noticed an interesting, somewhat disturbing fact that many, if not most of the posters on this forum are men. Don't women do homebrew? I would think that making homebrew would appeal to women who like good food, good times and the finer things in life would be into this fascinating hobby.

I guess the fact is that most women don't really drink beer. I once had a party and my roomate at the time bought a case of Bud Light. What is that stuff for I asked? He said it was for the women who would be coming to the party. They apparently liked the stuff. Sure enough they went for the Bud Light just like he said even though there were many, many different types of beer.

There are exceptions of course. My second wife drank A LOT of beer and even made a batch of homebrew (a Stout) one time. Turned out really good too.

Anyway, was just wondering...

treehouse said:
I've noticed an interesting, somewhat disturbing fact that many, if not most of the posters on this forum are men. Don't women do homebrew? I would think that making homebrew would appeal to women who like good food, good times and the finer things in life would be into this fascinating hobby.

I guess the fact is that most women don't really drink beer. I once had a party and my roomate at the time bought a case of Bud Light. What is that stuff for I asked? He said it was for the women who would be coming to the party. They apparently liked the stuff. Sure enough they went for the Bud Light just like he said even though there were many, many different types of beer.

There are exceptions of course. My second wife drank A LOT of beer and even made a batch of homebrew (a Stout) one time. Turned out really good too.

Anyway, was just wondering...

They are all at my house waiting for me to get home :D

We have a few women, but they're few and far between. Brewing screams MEN. There is fire, alcohol, heavy lifting and gadgets. What else could you want??

...besides that - doing that to beer would be disgusting.

I have found that most females don't normally want to drink huge amounts of liquid. Maybe I am wrong? "Was wrong once before - I thought that I had made a mistake!"

I had one gf that could drink 10 pints and still be able to hold a coherent conversation (well, that is what it sound like to me anyway). My wife drinks beer and can knock over a six pack from time to time.

If 80% of the population drink beer and 5% of these people brew their own and 50% of the population is female then I need to do some maths and my brain hurts just now (at work programming and there is no more room for extra stuff up there!)

There are plenty of women on the boards, some are even regular posters. You also have to remember, you can't assume gender on a message board, there might be women on here who just haven't announced that they are women.

TheJadedDog said:
There are plenty of women on the boards, some are even regular posters. You also have to remember, you can't assume gender on a message board, there might be women on here who just haven't announced that they are women.

Exactly right. Who would want to expose themselves to this lot of disgusting ba$tards? ;)

Kidding of course, I think we do a pretty good job at not being a boys club around here. And by my observation the Ladies that are regular posters have a great knowledge of homebrewing, and a terrific sense of humor to go with it. (Why else would they put up with us ? ) :D

I just wish more people (both female and male) would sign up. Has anyone ever watched the visitor count here during the day? It can get beefy at times.

Think about all of those people spreading the word of this hobby/sport/obsession just by spending some quality time at work, on the computer, checking out HBT?

:rockin:

Ize

TheJadedDog said:

True. Must learn to switch my PC off at home to stop them using it!

rdwj said:
We have a few women, but they're few and far between. Brewing screams MEN. There is fire, alcohol, heavy lifting and gadgets. What else could you want??

...besides that - doing that to beer would be disgusting.

Good point. I never really looked at it that way. Fire, alcohol, muscles and gadgets. Cool. I guess there aren't any firearms involved and I think that is a good idea. Plus what an opportunity to do something stupid. Homebrew: A wealth of opportunities.

treehouse said:
Cool. I guess there aren't any firearms involved and I think that is a good idea. Plus what an opportunity to do something stupid. Homebrew: A wealth of opportunities.

I don't know. I'm sure someone somewhere has mashed in then taken a little target practice. :D

Ize

For now my fiance loves the beer I brew, she just let's me brew it.

She thinks it's all pretty cool, follows along from time to time, and makes the trips to the HBS with me but let's me have fun doing the dirty work! Matter of fact the lady at the local HBS asked where she was today since she didn't come along!

I'm sure she will get into it sooner or later, but for now I have the hobby all to myself... just not the finished product heh.

There are a few women here- but they don't usually post as much as the guys. I think most of us are busy with many other things. I'm on here all the time- pretty pathetic really.

There is one woman one on here (I can't remember her ID right now) who surprised most of the forum members by "fessing up" to being a woman. I thought the pink signature was a dead giveaway but most of the guys were clueless except the ones who actually knew her!

Of the top of my head, I'd guess there are only about 5 or 6 of us that post here. But I could be wrong.

Really, brewing is a great activity for woman. It's creative, artistic, and deeply satisfying. And when you're done, you have BEER. No better hobby, when you think about it!

Lorena

Yep, there's a few of us around!!! It's definatly a male dominated hobby though. I'm the only female member of our brew club, but i'm really just "one of the guys"!

There are actually quite a few women on these boards. It's just that the men do more posting. Guess it's because we're "busy" at work. Besides, why would they expose themselves as women when the lot of us are dirty bastards anyway?

I echo the comments of those that point out our female posters here. Loreana and BeerLuvnGurl (sp?) are two in particular that always have good stuff to share. And I know there are others.

That being said, it's definitely a male-dominated hobby. But there is somethin' hella sexy about chicks who appreciate the good stuff and even sexier about chick brewers. Come to think of it, this subject has come up before a few times and someone once posted a pic of a really hot chick who was actually in master brewing school looking to be a micro brewmaster somewhere. If I wasn't married, that's who I'd be looking for.

Focus

rdwj said:
Brewing screams MEN. There is fire, alcohol, heavy lifting and gadgets. What else could you want??

Wow, I must be a guy! I love all those things. Well, except heavy lifting, but I can do it if I have to. :D Who doesn't like gadgets?!

I don't post all that much, though, because I have little to say that would be useful. I'm only on my second batch - it takes me a long time to drink 5 gallons, and I don't brew in the summer - so I don't have the brewing experience to answer most questions people ask.

dancingbarefoot said:
I don't post all that much, though, because I have little to say that would be useful. I'm only on my second batch - it takes me a long time to drink 5 gallons, and I don't brew in the summer - so I don't have the brewing experience to answer most questions people ask.

Bah, I don't know jack either, that doesn't keep me from running my mouth... :D

I'm a fella, but my SWMBO is REALLY into brewing. I'd guess if she could access the boards (I don't think she can due to firewalls at work) she's chime in from time to time.

In fact, we got started in this hobby when I bought HER a home brewing kit for her birthday earlier this month.

She loves beer, good beer. She is an amazing cook, and loves wine too (a nice diversion from brew). She's big into outdoor sports (camping, canoeing, hiking, etc) and loves watching sports too, football and hockey mainly.

Brewing is a great hobby that we can share.

I think I'm EXTREMELY lucky.

I'd say about 5% of homebrewers are women, based on the clubs I belong to & various articles I've seen. Mass culture says beer is consumed in large quantities to make really stupid guys attractive.

Ize said:
I don't know. I'm sure someone somewhere has mashed in then taken a little target practice. :D

Ize
3548-MP5.jpg

I like to fire full auto while brewing. :D

I'm new to brewing; I have my first batch of pale ale in the fermenter now, and hoping to bottle this Sunday when hubby is home to help.

Originally Posted by rdwj
Brewing screams MEN. There is fire, alcohol, heavy lifting and gadgets. What else could you want??

Sounds good to me :) Another of my hobbies is tinkering with our cars, a couple Datsun Zs and a couple Datsun Roadsters. For the heavy lifting, hubby bought me an engine hoist and for my birthday several years ago he bought me a 33gal air compressor and all the gadgets to go with.

Now that I've started brewing beer, it just gives him that much more choice in what to get me for Christmas ;)

ill.literate said:
She loves beer, good beer. She is an amazing cook, and loves wine too (a nice diversion from brew). She's big into outdoor sports (camping, canoeing, hiking, etc) and loves watching sports too, football and hockey mainly.

Brewing is a great hobby that we can share.

I think I'm EXTREMELY lucky.

Dude. I think that's what I would call lucky...

MariaAZ said:
I'm new to brewing; I have my first batch of pale ale in the fermenter now, and hoping to bottle this Sunday when hubby is home to help.

Sounds good to me :) Another of my hobbies is tinkering with our cars, a couple Datsun Zs and a couple Datsun Roadsters. For the heavy lifting, hubby bought me an engine hoist and for my birthday several years ago he bought me a 33gal air compressor and all the gadgets to go with.

Now that I've started brewing beer, it just gives him that much more choice in what to get me for Christmas ;)

And I see it's your first post, so welcome aboard! Be sure to tell us how your first batch comes out.

My wife loves my new hobby because its better than spending $$$ on the cars I have in the garage which I fund by being in the garage (side jobs) (time and money is worth a lot to women) But little does she know that the bay she parks in is scheduled to be my all grain set up area and you all know how much can be spent on this hobby.
I just have to figure out how to fund this hobby like I do with cars. I can't sell beer but I wonder if I can sell wort?

67coupe390 said:
I wonder if I can sell wort?

I doubt there is much of a market for it and you'd need a certified kitchen to sell it legally.

Sounds like you're handy though and there is definitely a market for brewing equipment. Making fermenters, kettles, tuns etc. are all possibilities.

Back