Hops problem in an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AABassMaster

Reaction score
I was brewing an IPA the other night and I was about 15 minutes into the boil when I noticed that there was a hole in the muslin bag that I put the bittering hop pellets in. The muslin bag was empty and all of the hops were floating around in the wort while it boiled. Nothing I could do to fix it so I just continued along with the boil, finishing hops, cooling, and pitching the yeast.

Is leaving the hops in the wort/beer during the fermentation going to cause any problems? Do I have to dump it and start over?

It'll be fine. I used to leave everything and anything in my beers. If you're really concerned about it and/or if you're going to dry hop, you can transfer it to a secondary after a couple weeks. (Ensure fermentation is finished with your hydrometer)

OMG! NOOOO! Just kidding it will be fine. Lots of people don't use those bags and make great beer. I've never used one of those bags and my IPA's are awesome! I'm pretty sure the pro brewers don't use those bags.

I think the only reason to use a bag is if the hop matter is gonna clog up your plate chiller or a pump or valve or something. Otherwise just set you hops free.

I don't think that the pellets would have stayed in the bag even without the hole.

Never used a bag so not sure though.

I don't think that the pellets would have stayed in the bag even without the hole.

Never used a bag so not sure though.

Yeah they make super fine bags that pellets can't escape from. People who use plate chillers and counter flow chillers swear by them.

First full wort boil every single pellet I put into the bag came out. And it clogged up my strainer and the 2nd strainer I put into the funnel. I'll let you know how it tastes next week.

First full wort boil every single pellet I put into the bag came out. And it clogged up my strainer and the 2nd strainer I put into the funnel. I'll let you know how it tastes next week.

Don't use a strainer. Problem solved! Your welcome

I didn't use a bag for my last IPA, and it's the BEST IPA I've made! :)

Of course, it's only the second IPA I've made, but....... details, details....:)

I'm new to this, but for my first 5-6 batches I used a bag for the hops, and although I used a good amount of finishing hops from 2-3 oz @20 to 0 min, the flavor and aroma component seemed lacking. I'm just now starting on an Amarillo Two-Hearted semi-clone that was the first free-hop boil and the flavor and aroma are huge compared to previous attempts. I'm not confident it's the hops technique or recipe, but it seems to me the bag may decrease at least some of the hops flavor utilization. The only other explanation is that my previous beers had higher alpha hops (Nugget) for the 60 min boil that may have masked some flavor and this one I used Amarillo.

If the hops are very loose in the bag, it shouldn't decrease the utilization. If the hops are packed tightly, then you'll lose some of the bittering ability of the hops.

I never used hops bags until recently, and I do it reluctantly so it doesn't clog up my counterflow chiller. I think my beers are better when I don't use the bags.

What if you used a pounds of hops... like a Pliny the Elder clone?

When I do a Pliny clone, I plan WAY more wort for one thing! I'll scale up my batch to have 6 gallons go into the fermenter, since it seems like leaf hops especially suck up the wort! One thing I've done when doing a Pliny clone or a beer with more than about 3 ounces of hops is to sanitize my big mesh grain bag, and line my fermenter with it. It fits perfectly, since I also use it for wine. Anyway, line the fermenter, dump in the wort, lift out the bag and hold over the fermenter while it drips a bit, then throw out the crud. That's really the only time I "filter" my wort. And it's not because the hops debris will hurt the beer, it's because all of the crud takes up so much room in my fermenter that it doesn't give me much headspace!

I use a bag when I rack from fermenter to bottling bucket or keg. Attach it to the racking cane. Doesn't let a lot of sediment or hop material into the bucket/keg. I've only used bags during boil when using whole leaf and using a counter-flow.

I use a bag when I rack from fermenter to bottling bucket or keg. Attach it to the racking cane. Doesn't let a lot of sediment or hop material into the bucket/keg. I've only used bags during boil when using whole leaf and using a counter-flow.

Good idea.. Thanks.

How does one sanitize a bag for that task? Just let it soak in star san?

Yep. I soak it in a cleaner and squeeze out the excess cleaner before attaching to the cane. Same way one would clean it if they were to use a bag for dry hopping.

I have never used a bag. Ive used gelatin in my secondary and all hops, grains etc. that haven't settled out seemed to have taken a liken to the gelatin and helps bring it all to the bottom of my carboy

Back