Willamette Belgian Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernerbrau

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP570
Yeast Starter
1 pint @ 1.050, 4 days
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
4.2 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
28 @ 70
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Tasting Notes
Like wit without the spices
This is an all-grain Belgian Blonde I designed that finished carbing this weekend.

Was going for a SWMBO drinkable beer (dark and hoppy being out of the question), and I picked the Willamette hop because I had been making an IPA and was having her sniff samples. The fruity esters from a Victory Saison were the inspiration here.

The strong fruit flavors were highly prevalent early on, but have mellowed out significantly. Now it reminds me of a Wit, though wheat and spices are absent. Next time I will try a fruitier belgian strain to try and make it more saison-y.

SWMBO absolutely loves it, and can drink it in large quantities. In that vein this beer was a smashing success.

Grain Bill:

8# Belgian Pilsner
1# Vienna
0.25# Cara Foam
0.25# Cara Hell

Single infusion mash, 152F, 60 minutes
Batch sparge, 180F

Hop Schedule (all whole hops):

1.5 oz Williamette @ 60
0.25 oz Willamette @ 20
0.25 oz Willamette @ 15
0.25 oz Willamette @ 10
0.25 oz Willamette @ 5
0.5 oz Willamette @ 0

I too want to make a beer for SWMBO (hoppy and dark also being out of the question) and I have a 1lb of Willamette hops that I need to use up. Do you think this beer would be good to use fresh raspberries with? SWMBO really enjoyed a framboise a few weeks ago and that was her first pint of beer she ever drank.

Which belgian strain would you recommend to make it fruiter?

I too want to make a beer for SWMBO (hoppy and dark also being out of the question) and I have a 1lb of Willamette hops that I need to use up. Do you think this beer would be good to use fresh raspberries with? SWMBO really enjoyed a framboise a few weeks ago and that was her first pint of beer she ever drank.

Which belgian strain would you recommend to make it fruiter?

You can go ahead and try this with fresh raspberries. I used WLP570 which has a kind of fruity taste to begin with.

Back