So it begins (Brutus build)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marshal6

Reaction score
Well after staring at the steel in my garage for the past few weeks I figured it was time I actually started this build. I got a pretty good deal on the steel $50 for 40 feet. I am not an experienced welder or fabricator but I am one of those "I can do anything" sort of people, not outta some weird self righteousness more out of the fact that I'm a cheap ass and wont hire anyone to do work I could have done myself. So the plan is to get the frame done and over the next few months acquire the parts to get it up and running. Its going to be a HERMS system using a CFC as a heat exchanger to maintain mash temps. Or at least thats what I plan on doing. I have never used this method and theres not a ton of info from what I could find. I did see on some other site a guy using this set up, his comments were that once you know get to know the system you can dial it in with ease. He did mention that it was difficult to do step mashes though, who knows well see. Heres some pics so far.
photo-1.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

photo1.jpg

Is that your first time welding? And what kind of welder did you use? I've stuck mostly to woodworking, but I know I could pick up welding with a few hours of practice. How much did you spend to get set up with a welder?

Thanks for the positive comments. Yes this was my first time welding and I was lucky enough to be able to borrow all the equipment from a friend. Its really not too tough if you have experience building things with tools then you can pick it up pretty quick. Just practice with some scrap and play with the settings untill you have a good bead and it sounds like theres a bumble bee on streoids in the room. Some of my beads look great some not so much I think the biggest differece is how much of a bevel i put on the tubbing. I recommend beveling all the edges so that the weld has a bit of an area to pool, less grinding later. Again this is just what worked for me I'm by no means a experienced welder. Also be sure to use the recommended wire gauge for the thickness of metal you are using. I think the toughest part is keeping the whole thing square.

Looking good. I'll be starting my build in a few weeks. Never welded before either so following your progress will give me some confidence.

Are you going NG or LP? If LP, high or low pressure? I found the most difficult decision so far in getting parts together is what kind of ignition system to use.

I think I will initially go LP just because I'm a lazy ass and don't really want to tap into the house NG line without having established a permanent location for the brew stand. Once I figure out where the thing is going to stay then I may consider going the NG route.

Nice work so far !! I am 75% done with my Brutus build, just need to paint, then install the 2 pumps and control box. Will post pics soon.

I have two extra new Asco Red Hat Valves part # 8210G15 for trade or sale.

Make me an offer or trade. Looking for love temp controllers, barley crusher, plate chiller, or what do you want to trade !!

These are the identical valves used in the Brutus 10 only brass instead of stainless.

Buy $50.00 each plus shipping or free pickup

Starting my brutus build as well. I've cut and prepped the steel. I plan to weld throughout this week. I weld for CN railroad, so I'm hoping to be finished within a day or so. I'm going to take my time and not rush through it. Good luck your your build.

Well after staring at the steel in my garage for the past few weeks I figured it was time I actually started this build. I got a pretty good deal on the steel $50 for 40 feet. I am not an experienced welder or fabricator but I am one of those "I can do anything" sort of people, not outta some weird self righteousness more out of the fact that I'm a cheap ass and wont hire anyone to do work I could have done myself. So the plan is to get the frame done and over the next few months acquire the parts to get it up and running. Its going to be a HERMS system using a CFC as a heat exchanger to maintain mash temps. Or at least thats what I plan on doing. I have never used this method and theres not a ton of info from what I could find. I did see on some other site a guy using this set up, his comments were that once you know get to know the system you can dial it in with ease. He did mention that it was difficult to do step mashes though, who knows well see. Heres some pics so far.

This is coming along very nicely my friend! I can't wait until I see more pics! Please, all of you, keep the pics coming this way! I have pics of almost a hundred systems now and a tear forms in my eye every single time I see one more.

Well its been on a bit of a hold. I have had time constraints that have kept me from working on it. I plan on putting in the plumbing for the gas line this weekend. I also bought some paint which i hope will hold up to the heat. It this stuff here http://www.vhtpaint.com/flameproof.html got the primer, color and clear coat. Well see if it works. Also Im having trouble finding kettles to fit the stand. Seems as though my only options left are Blichmann's or keggles. Im pretty sure Ill go the blichmann route. I wish the Italian kettles were still available if anyone knows where to get them please let me know.

Marshal6,
Go to craigslist or your local metal scrapyard and find some straight sided kegs. The going rate was 30 bucks a piece. They have thicker metal than the italian jobs or blichmanns. The banjo burners or hurricanes work great with the keggles. Polish them out and they look better than italians. Just my 2 cents.

bH.jpg

Marshal6,
Go to craigslist or your local metal scrapyard and find some straight sided kegs. The going rate was 30 bucks a piece. They have thicker metal than the italian jobs or blichmanns. The banjo burners or hurricanes work great with the keggles. Polish them out and they look better than italians. Just my 2 cents.

Question:

Why doesn't anyone mount a holding shelf on the side of their Brutus system to hold the propane tank(s)? Too close to the heat?

Seems like a perfect spot to "store" them and keep them from being dragged around on the ground.

Randar,
Guess you could make an attachment to hold the tanks. I like to keep mine out of the way, less clutter. The heat could be an issue. I remember reading somewhere that the manufacturer,(or on the safety label) recommend the tank be 6-10 feet away from the burner.
Snake10

Randar,
Guess you could make an attachment to hold the tanks. I like to keep mine out of the way, less clutter. The heat could be an issue. I remember reading somewhere that the manufacturer,(or on the safety label) recommend the tank be 6-10 feet away from the burner.
Snake10

Makes sense, just wondered if anyone had a specific reasoning or if everyone was just tired of all the welding by the time they were through!

Question:

Why doesn't anyone mount a holding shelf on the side of their Brutus system to hold the propane tank(s)? Too close to the heat?

Seems like a perfect spot to "store" them and keep them from being dragged around on the ground.

I have a spot on one side of my brew stand for the propane tank. It's a two tier, so I think the burner is far enough away to not be worried. This is the only close up pic I could find (from when I was hard-plumbing the water lines)
IMAGE_009.jpg

and here's an overall view:
IMG_2997.JPG

Marshall6 - nice start on the build. I'll put in another vote for the keggles. I haven't done the work to polish mine, but another local brewer has and they look very nice.

Back