Whats this floating in my beer during the boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s1080

Reaction score
This is my fourth all grain brew and ive ran into, what I hope is not, a problem. Everything went fine for the first half. Figured out my temps and sparge water etc... Boiled my water..hit my temps... However I forgot to preheat my sparge water to 170 F. So I put my first runnings into an old, clean kettle I have and began to heat my sparge water. Finally everything got rolling again. I dumped my sparge water into the tun, I put my first runnings into my big kettle. Phew! Crisis averted... I thought. As the second runnings finished draining I noticed a lot of these tiny white flakes beginning to appear. So I took my starting gravity and their they were , many white floating flakes. I wish I had the ability to take a picture but Im still in the middle of brewing. Im gonna go ahead with the brew thinking that maybe those flakes are proteins that bundled together but it is kind weird looking. Any thoughts??

P.S. Ill try to get some pics up soon.

It could also be some of the flour from the grain.

Don't worry about it.

Thats Totally it !!! Thanks for the input! This is only my fourth AG brew so I must admit I was kinda freakin out. Alas, I have forgotten the long lost principles of RDWHAHB:) Furthermore...I hit my Starting gravity perfectly(1.072), along with my original gravity (1.080). So all in all a good brew day. It was sunny and 75 here in Charleston, SC, couldn't ask for more. Thanks again!

Back