Hello from Chicago SW burbs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gahrens

Reaction score
Hello, I'm Greg.
Moved to Chicagoland 8 years ago from Northern WI, now am living in Romeoville. Have been tossing around the idea of brewing beer for almost a year. Finally bought a brew kit two nights ago, and made a Brewers Best Classic English Pale Ale last night.
OG was 1.032 @ 90* at the end of the boil. I think that's around 1.036 - 37, a little low for the kit but I didn't follow the instructions exactly. Forgot to strike at 120. Striked at 70* and heated to 120. Did a 10 minute rest at 120* and another at 160*. 50 minutes total. Followed wort schedule per instructions. However I pitched my yeast a half hour before putting in the fermenter. Went 5.5 gals instead of 5, oops. Had what looks like solid fermentation 7 hours later this morning and its been really smelling good.

Going to try an IPA in a couple of weeks. Need to invest in some more equipment soon I can see already.

Congratulations and welcome to a great community from the far western suburbs. You'll find more information then you ever thought existed here. Good luck and happy brewing.

Patrick

Welcome Greg.

Naperville based brewer here. Going to be bottling my first batch (Irish Stout) this weekend and hopefully brewing a Witbier recipe this weekend. Can't tell you how much this website has helped educate me since I found it last week. Lots of good stuff and already looking forward to moving to All Grain!

Also, your lower starting gravity might be due to the extra half gallon of water you put in your recipe.

Welcome
My first was also an English Pale Ale (from midwest supply).

Thats in my Secondary.
Got Octance IPA in my primary (moving to secondary tomorrow).

I'm doing an Irish Red and a Double IPA this weekend.
I'm located out in Glen Ellyn so not to far, welcome!

Back