New BYO Aussi brewing article

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How bout those of us who WEREN'T nay sayers???

:D

Those of us who maintained the the arguments were the typical bs that happens when a new idea is presented...you know, the "intellectual devil's advocate/conjecture/masturbation. Some of us were with you all along in light of the mere fact that they were doing it in OZ???

:mug:

But I'm still in your will for your brewing rig, right? I mean you are in a high risk career after all.;)

Am I in a high risk career? I mean, more people die in automobile accidents, so I suppose that someone who simply drives to work 5 days a week, when I only drive to work ONCE a week, would be at a much higher risk of dying in general. Hrmmm, in either case, dont tell my life insurance carrier that! I have $1 mil on myself for less than it costs me to put liability only insurance on my 1992 Celica each month ;)

It was a constructive conversation, but I really do grow weary of people who say something WILL NOT work, when they have never tried it and have no practical experience to back up thier claim.

I never claimed that it WOULD work, just that may, and it was silly to say something was not possible when you had no data to support such a claim. If you are going to say that it WONT work, you should have a failed experiment to show it, especially when others DO use the process and have shown that it DOES work. Sometimes, I think people just like to disagree, to disagree, even if they have no means by which to back up thier argument.

Just the other day I had an HBTer, nice guy BTW, shocked when he heard I added GRAIN TO WATER, and not the other way around. Why I asked? Because Palmer said that you should never do it. That is where "rules" of brewing are born, I just think that we are an intelligent bunch and we can and will find a way to navigate what is just propaganda. I dont like following, or followers...

Look at a homebrewing book from 20 years ago... tell me what you see. If brewers then didnt innovate, look at the mess we would be in!

That is where "rules" of brewing are born, I just think that we are an intelligent bunch and we can and will find a way to navigate what is just propaganda. I dont like following, or followers...

Look at a homebrewing book from 20 years ago... tell me what you see. If brewers then didnt innovate, look at the mess we would be in!

exactly....look at how many threads pop up around here regarding autolysis and hot-side aeration. The collective wisdom of this board have pretty much concluded that neither of these issues should be a significant concern for the average homebrewer. Yet, these thread continue to pop up just because they were mentioned as being potential issues in the early homebrewing texts.

I look forward to a write up for your experiment with "cubing"...way to take the initiative and figure it out!

exactly....look at how many threads pop up around here regarding autolysis and hot-side aeration. The collective wisdom of this board have pretty much concluded that neither of these issues should be a significant concern for the average homebrewer. Yet, these thread continue to pop up just because they were mentioned as being potential issues in the early homebrewing texts.

I look forward to a write up for your experiment with "cubing"...way to take the initiative and figure it out!

Well, I cant say that it cant be done, unless I try it, right? That is what I teach my kids, that is how people innovate. There is enough apathy in this world, there is still much to be done!

I'm drinking some no chilled Kolsch right now. No off flavors, like Pol said no over bitterness, no corn flavor. I added my 5 min hop additon to the cube and transferred the hot wort on top. Pitched the next morning (in a carboy). Everything was sixes with quick chilled after that.
The beer tastes the same as previous batches. It was relaxing to not have to worry and stress over chilling the wort. Put it in the cube, draw a pint, relax and start cleaning equipment.
I've got a vanilla porter carbing in a keg right now that was cubed by the same process. I'll try to report back about how that turned out.

A quick note on behalf of my brewing Aussies brothers how much we enjoyed this thread ! A number of issues arose that we laughed at, pondered over and generally thought the usual "WTF is he going on about" . I must admit that the best thing about THIS thread was it introduced a number of Australians to this excellent HBT site and vice versa, a number of north Americans now regularly visit AHB.

Whether or not you believe in no chill or BIAB or the Tooth Fairy, its important new processes are spread and discussed around the brewing world. All by itself this thread has done a significant amount of good because issues were raised and discussed. Well done brothers !

Fatgodzilla,

Awesome. Thanks. Loved the info on BIAB'ing. I have done 6 extract batches and I plan to do BIAB AG soon, maybe next. I plan to skip the cooler MLT DIY project in favor of focusing on getting a mill so I can grind finer to take full advantage of the superb efficiency of the filter bag.

I am glad that BYO ran that article, and that some here took the ideas and information to a practical level

If anyone thinks that the brewing books written today are the FINAL word on brewing practices, just imagine, there were people that thought that same way in the 1970's.

Scary thought. Everything you do today, could disappear in another decade, replaced by science or practical knowlege.

I will have a glass primary and an IC for sale.

You said it Pol. To give a good perspective of it, I worked at the Umass Cranberry Experiment Station years back. They had this old photograph on the wall of some men wearing bandannas over the mouths and big sacks slung around their shoulders. They were obviously spreading whatever it was onto the cranberry bogs. Kneeling on the bog all around the men were women obviously pulling weeds up-they had no bandannas. I asked one of the old timers what was going on in the photo. They were spreading cyanide on the bogs for pest control...try to do that today!

I'm diggin' the new ideas, I was outta the game for 10 years and the changes now that I am back are incredible!

I am glad that BYO ran that article, and that some here took the ideas and information to a practical level

If anyone thinks that the brewing books written today are the FINAL word on brewing practices, just imagine, there were people that thought that same way in the 1970's.

Scary thought. Everything you do today, could disappear in another decade, replaced by science or practical knowlege.

I will have a glass primary and an IC for sale.

If there is one thing that really seems to define homebrewers, it's a healthy dose of chutzpah and ingenuity. I always find it fascinating looking back across the old texts and seeing how enterprising and adventurous brewers are turning convention on its ear.

I'll readily admit - I was very cynical about this 'no chill' method and I'm happy to have been proven wrong! Perhaps I'll try it some day now that my earlier qualms have been put to rest - but there is something very reassuring about the gentle whir of my March pump as it pushes wort through my CFC gurgling into the fermenter. ;) But I always caution those who like experimentation to fully understand the reasoning behind belief/statement X before going on to challenge it.

Latest posts

Back