lager temp control question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheatgerm

Reaction score
Yesterday, I pitched my lager starter(WLP820) straight from a 35F fridge into 3.5 gallons of 40F degree wort. I set my fridge temp controller to 55F. My plan was to allow the temp to creep up throughout the course of fermentation as I do with ales, ending at around 60F, and then do a DR at the end at around 70F.

But, I started reading today that some recommend pitching lagers at room temp until you see activity and then cooling it down. That just doesn't seem right to me since I've always heard that a slow rise is best. Cooling down after ferm begins seems like a no-no.

Any advice on which is best? Does it matter much?

I like to be at least within the recommended range for the yeast to start, then I adjust down to the low side of that over several days, then DR, then lager.

But, I started reading today that some recommend pitching lagers at room temp until you see activity and then cooling it down. That just doesn't seem right to me since I've always heard that a slow rise is best. Cooling down after ferm begins seems like a no-no.

Any advice on which is best? Does it matter much?

you did it the right way. its always best to raise not lower the temp after pitching

Back