Belgian Tripel Tripel Karmeliet Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, there.

I've alreay read all the post but still can't figure out why are they using a wine yeast to make beer. I'm kind of new in the brewing world, so there are some things that escape from me.

Is the crazy mash schedule of CSI intended to produce very fermentable sugars for the wine yeast?

Is that the issue? Or is it that stressed wine yeast can be useful in belgians?

Which yeast are you referring to?

WLP 720 is a hoegarden strain used in their grand cru. White labs just selected it as a mead strain because it makes good sweet mead as well. I love this strain and use it in my Trappist singles and Belgian blonds as well with great success.

WLP 720 is a hoegarden strain used in their grand cru. White labs just selected it as a mead strain because it makes good sweet mead as well. I love this strain and use it in my Trappist singles and Belgian blonds as well with great success.
Is it a wit??? Damn. That’s even more twisted. A wit strain that is labeled as a wine/mead yeast that is used to make belgian beer 🥴 I have to get a vial of this.

Is it a wit??? Damn. That’s even more twisted. A wit strain that is labeled as a wine/mead yeast that is used to make belgian beer 🥴 I have to get a vial of this.

There's not really any distinct group of wit yeasts, most of the ones that get used are in the saison family, which is very closely related to the wine yeasts.

People like to think that there's very distinct groups of yeast for particular purposes, but the reality is much messier - many English yeasts are phenolic members of the saison family, there's even saison yeasts being used to make commercial lager. And of course traditionally the main reason to brew beer was to grow up yeast to bake bread....

Still didn`t brew this but looking at the comments about the yeast maybe I'm better to go for M21 witbier yeast instead of the M31.
The attenuation might not be high enough though 🤔

Still didn`t brew this but looking at the comments about the yeast maybe I'm better to go for M21 witbier yeast instead of the M31.
The attenuation might not be high enough though 🤔
After reading through the whole thread, the FG of TK is in the 1015 range and the lower attenuation may be a good thing as most of the beers discussed come in at the 1010 and below range. I may have to go to Total Wine and see if they have TK. Once I try it I'll see if I want to brew it (8.5% is a lot bigger that I usually brew). Thanks OP and others for all the info. :mug:

This is the one that won Operation Fermentation in Texas, and it was modified to brew the commercial batch.

Here's the link to the 15 Barrel version brewed with Great Heights on Untappd: Tripel Secret Probation - Great Heights Brewing Company - Untappd

It's currently holding a 4.01 rating on Untapped and is waiting for TABC approval before distribution.
View attachment 603457

I still didn't get around to brewing this but will put in on the plan for early Spring so it's ready for the hot Summer months.

I'm just keying in the above recipe but see it's only for 1.1 gallons.
That would be around 1oz of Licorice and 2.5 oz of Orange peel in a 5 gallon batch.
That looks like a bit much or should it be OK?
The 0.5oz of Coriander sounds about right.

I'll be using M31 by the way as I have a pack that needs to be used up soon.

Brewed this 4 weeks ago and just having a taste now. Excellent! I don't have a Triple Karmeliet to do side-by-side, but from what I recall its fairly close.
I brewed Jefhron's last posted recipe.
More cloudy than I would've thought but taste is awesome so who cares.

Used wlp500, started at 1.081 and finished at 1.012. Ill mash at lower temps to try and get an even better attenuation next time.

Attachments

• IMG_20220408_185918.jpg
    IMG_20220408_185918.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2
Back