Brined Calves Tongue Sandwiches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before our friends in McGrath moved to Kenai, we used to do all of our moose hunting out floating the Kuskokwim River. The deal was we had to give the moose tongue and nose to our friend's father in law, a native Athapascan. It wasn't a bad deal at all but i never got to try moose tongue until we shifted our moose hunting region after they moved. It was very good and jellied nose is kind of like scrapple!

Snyder's Market (Snyder's BBQ now, or then, or was...) is not the answer. They moved to a new, better location about a year ago, and it appears, judging by the disconnected phone, and missing twitter and FB pages, they are no longer in business.

This is my white whale.

Snyder's Market (Snyder's BBQ now, or then, or was...) is not the answer. They moved to a new, better location about a year ago, and it appears, judging by the disconnected phone, and missing twitter and FB pages, they are no longer in business.

This is my white whale.

Online couldn't be easier, ordered on Tuesday arrived today.
I ran around last Monday found it one place that I thought was overpriced.

I found a place in Custer, about 45 minutes from my house that I have been wanting to check out has them (or, normally does...) for about $2.50 a lb. He said he thought they were currently out. For some reason they had a big run on tongue recently, but he said they always get fresh on Tuesday. These guys are cutting up animals fresh all the time. I should save up for a rack of lamb or a nice brisket to smoke.

He said he thought they were currently out. For some reason they had a big run on tongue recently,

Obviously because of Creamy and this post!
Brine cooling as i type, did I mention I'm hungry!And thanks Creamy for motivating to do this, I get a sandwich when I can but have never cooked it, Can't wait!

Made corned tongue Ruebens tonight, homemade kraut,HBs, football, dosen't get much better!

IMG_1355.jpg

Now Im wondering if it would be worth the expense to cube tongue fine and use in place of cubed beef in a pot pie...

Always tryin' to think outside the box. Add minced garlic,cilantro,salt,pepper,onion powder. See how that works out. Can't wait to get that Kitchen Aid mixer with all the attachments to make bread & sausage. Miss bread making,& these guys have all the French,Italian,etc loaf pans I'm missing as well; http://www.chefscatalog.com/?sourcecode=FW1WA1118

Hey Homer, did you ever get some tongue?

Well, my wife says I'm not supposed to talk about that part of our lives, but yes.

Hey, this reminds me I still need to contact the butcher and see if I can find a beef tongue to try. I'm picking up a half a hog next week, maybe I can get him to save a tongue for me.

I might have to give this a try.
There's a butcher that closed shop a few years back. They'd knocked out a part of the wall to the next store front so them and the bottle shop were one and the same (ahhh... meat and good beer... I was there at least once a week). When the bottle shop manager left the butcher closed up shortly thereafter. I saw a sign that a reputable Polish meat market across town is opening a second location at that old shop. Finally, someplace to get fine cuts of meat on this side of town (and order fatback without having to educate the big box "butcher" about what I want).

More people would eat tongue if they actually tried it. One of the best cuts of meat out there.

The flavor is fine. The texture depends heavily on preparation.

So long as the outer skin is removed it's great. But as soon as I bit into a taco and felt the fuzzy taste buds against mine I was off to the toilet. Blech!

Well, my wife says I'm not supposed to talk about that part of our lives, but yes.

Hey, this reminds me I still need to contact the butcher and see if I can find a beef tongue to try. I'm picking up a half a hog next week, maybe I can get him to save a tongue for me.

I think your untitled to at least half, ask for the whole head and toss it in your brew kettle and give it a boil:D

I might have to give this a try.
There's a butcher that closed shop a few years back. They'd knocked out a part of the wall to the next store front so them and the bottle shop were one and the same (ahhh... meat and good beer... I was there at least once a week). When the bottle shop manager left the butcher closed up shortly thereafter. I saw a sign that a reputable Polish meat market across town is opening a second location at that old shop. Finally, someplace to get fine cuts of meat on this side of town (and order fatback without having to educate the big box "butcher" about what I want).

It'd be a bit of a ride, but our favorite meat market is run by a Polish couple called Polanski's in Amherst, OH. Near Lorain & near to I 90 & rt 58.

I think your untitled to at least half, ask for the whole head and toss it in your brew kettle and give it a boil:D

I'd never turn down the head, but in this case it wasn't part of the deal. I think they keep some portions to make into other things. Helps to recoup part of the cost to butcher. I'll ask the hog owner.

It'd be a bit of a ride, but our favorite meat market is run by a Polish couple called Polanski's in Amherst, OH. Near Lorain & near to I 90 & rt 58.

I need to make a culinary trip that direction at some point. A former coworker had given me suggestions about some great places in and around Parma so Amherst would tie right into that trip.

There's also a German guy that sells German style meats at the West 25th Street Market. He has a separate store location in Cleveland as well.

So I bought a half a hog from a guy at work and went to the butcher to pick it up. As he's getting ready to haul it out to the Jeep I ask if he has any Beef Tongue.

I get a strange look and he asks if I really want one.

I say yes.

So he brings one out to me for free.

Apparently he doesn't get many requests for them!

Soon as I get a chance I'm going to boil the skin off and smoke that sucker (er.. licker) without the family knowing what it is.

So I bought a half a hog from a guy at work and went to the butcher to pick it up. As he's getting ready to haul it out to the Jeep I ask if he has any Beef Tongue.

I get a strange look and he asks if I really want one.

I say yes.

So he brings one out to me for free.

Apparently he doesn't get many requests for them!

Soon as I get a chance I'm going to boil the skin off and smoke that sucker (er.. licker) without the family knowing what it is.

Blanching water should be a good soup starter...

Also, keep that butcher on speed dial now that you know he has the meats :-D. I wonder if he can hook you up with oxtail, liver, and/or tripe?

I've been curious about beefheart, though. Grandma used to make a pickled venison heart when she was alive. They didn't throw much of that animal away...

No reason not to try it. Its pretty great grilled like you might a skirt steak, and if you know its very fresh I have heard reports it makes a great tartar.

Costs @$3.99 a pound around here though.

I've been curious about beefheart, though. Grandma used to make a pickled venison heart when she was alive. They didn't throw much of that animal away...

Beef heart is awesome. Fairly tender if prepared right, and tastes great with a vinegary brine. Cook it over charcoal with a bit of wood for smoke, and you have a wonderful meal.

I can't do heart, tounge or liver at home. I am the only one who would eat it.

Mom sliced the heart up after trimming & cooked it in stock & seasonings somehow. Made gravy with the pot licker & served with mashed potatoes & hot biscuits. Tasted like tender slices of veal!

Back