StrangeBrew Elsinore - Raspberry Pi based brewery controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last version had some UI updates in it. I have found some issues with the OWFS connection which I'm trying to identify but since it's stable and there's no other active features for me to work on, I'll be focusing on making a fully featured Android/Blackberry Homebrew Application.

More updates to the backend, I'm preparing to support EmberJS on the frontend, but the existing /controller interface still works.

This will enable future UI improvement to be much easier, and to allow third party tools to interact with Elsinore via a more standard interface.

I've been working a lot on an Android/BlackBerry Recipe application, and working more on StrangeBrew to work using QT.

I'm doingm some final updates to the API and I will be writing documentation so other brewery controllers, and software, can interact.

Elsinore will work with Fermentation controllers too (I think), I need to validate this when I buy my conicals, but I've designed everything long term. Such that I'll be able to do Fermentation profiles.

Then it's just pushing updates to RasperryPints, and similar applications.

Everything has now been moved over to using BigDecimal to improve accuracy of the data.

I'm going to rewrite the setup process to use the WebUI rather than the command line, then I'll be setting up a new thread.

You can now rename and change GPIO from the Web UI. Double click on the header/name of the temperature probe or PID that you want to change and it'll give you two boxes, one for the new name, and one for the GPIO.

This allows you to convert a temperature probe to a PID, and vice versa.

You can now setup Elsinore from the browser.

When running it for the first time the system will prompt you on the command line if it detects non-temperature probes (to use OWFS) but if it doesn't you won't need to do anything.

You can just head to the browser http://<ip:port>/controller, then you can double click on the Header to change the name and set a GPIO output.

I'm adding in the ability to put in an Aux GPIO, and setup volume control. Aswell as adding timers & pumps.

Everything except volume calibration can now be done from the WEB UI. This should make it much easier to setup for everyone.

Some more bugfixes and some basic API documentation added into the web API (for instance, going to an unknown URL, or HELP, will tell you the available endpoints). I need to work out how to automatically add these in the future.

Just got to add Volume point datasets on the web UI then I'll be raising a new thread.

You can now add volume points by double clicking on the volume section on the web UI. I'm going to rest for the night and take some screenshots then add new documentation and start a new thread, this one has gotten a bit long.

I will however, take this opportunity to apologise to everyone for my rant earlier on. It was entirely inappropriate.

I created 3 files to start and stop the server, The last line will Auto Start the server on boot.

elsinorestart.sh with the below bash

#!/bin/bash

cd /usr/local/src/SB_Elsinore_Server
java -jar Elsinore.jar

elsinorestop.sh with the below bash

#!/bin/bash
# Grabs and kill a process from the pidlist that has the word myapp

pid=`ps aux | grep Elsinore | awk '{print $2}'`
kill -9 $pid

Elsinore with the below code and placed it in /etc/init.d/ folder

#!/bin/bash
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: Elsinore Server
# Required-Start: $local_fs $syslog $remote_fs dbus
# Required-Stop: $local_fs $syslog $remote_fs
# Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop: 0 1 6
# Short-Description: Start transparentproxy
### END INIT INFO

case $1 in
start)
/bin/bash /usr/local/bin/elsinorestart.sh
;;
stop)
/bin/bash /usr/local/bin/elsinorestop.sh
;;
restart)
/bin/bash /usr/local/bin/elsinorestop.sh
/bin/bash /usr/local/bin/elsinorestart.sh
;;
esac
exit 0

Then did an update-rc.d Elsinore defaults

Hi all, sorry to go over dead ground - it would seem from the lack of dialogue that people either have this cracked or aren't needing to run the unit headless.

I've tried testing the script provided above (sudo /etc/init.d/Elsinore start) and get the message:
/bin/bash: /usr/local/bin/elsinorestart.sh: no such file or directory

I haven't been able to make this run and have checked that each of my files are letter perfect.

I've taken a flier and having read around have initialised the script :
sudo chmod 755 /etc/init.d/Elsinore

which gave me the next command prompt. following this I've tried the update-rc.d Elsinore defaults command

which has given me a truckload of permission denied messages (inserv : can not symlink, can not remove etc.)

Have I done something wrong?
Is there an issue with permissions on my pi?

Really appreciate any help you can give.

thanks to everyone so far, it is a credit to the feedback that you all have given so far which has meant I've been able to get this far (last time I did anything remotely electronics based was a radio shack crystal radio kit 30 years ago, and I messed that up!!!)

cheers,

james

Hi all, sorry to go over dead ground - it would seem from the lack of dialogue that people either have this cracked or aren't needing to run the unit headless.

I've tried testing the script provided above (sudo /etc/init.d/Elsinore start) and get the message:
/bin/bash: /usr/local/bin/elsinorestart.sh: no such file or directory

I haven't been able to make this run and have checked that each of my files are letter perfect.

I've taken a flier and having read around have initialised the script :
sudo chmod 755 /etc/init.d/Elsinore

which gave me the next command prompt. following this I've tried the update-rc.d Elsinore defaults command

which has given me a truckload of permission denied messages (inserv : can not symlink, can not remove etc.)

Have I done something wrong?
Is there an issue with permissions on my pi?

Really appreciate any help you can give.

thanks to everyone so far, it is a credit to the feedback that you all have given so far which has meant I've been able to get this far (last time I did anything remotely electronics based was a radio shack crystal radio kit 30 years ago, and I messed that up!!!)

cheers,

james

Are you putting the files in /usr/local/bin/?

I understand that the code supports multiple ds18b20 temperature sensors in the kettle. Does anyone use more the one? Are there any images that show how/where they are placed in the kettle?

Latest posts

Back