Anyone use the "brewers best" kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

St. Jon's Wort

Reaction score
So far I've only done two Munton pre-hopped kits (pilsner and bock) but I'm thinking of moving to a BB kit next since it seems to involve alot more work to brew (longer boil times, hopping, etc.).

Has anyone used one of these kits? Would you recommend it for someone as green as myself or should I stick with the Munton for now? I still don't feel comfortable with buying my own ingredients and starting from scratch.

Cheers everyone!

No experience with the Brewers Best stuff but the Midwest, Northern Brewer and Austin Homebrew kits produce vastly superior results to the can kits IMHO.

You should have no trouble going to an extract+steeping grains+hops kit and your beer will be a lot better for it (and brew day more enjoyable in my opinion). I highly recommend the kits from AHS (just pay attention to your hop additions as the hops come packaged in 1oz bags even if your recipe calls for less than 1oz of hops).

Brewers' Best kits are a great way to step it up to the next level. They include the unhopped extract, specialty grains, hops, yeast, grain bag(s), bottle caps and good instructions. Basically everything you need. Very similar to Midwest and AHS kits. I think you will be pleased with how easy it is to follow the instructions and how good the beer is you produce. It was a good entry point for me into brewing.

Craig

I started with BB kits, and they're a good way to go to the next level. I might be inclined to buy fresh yeast with them, just because it's so hard to know how well they've been stored.

I have a BB India Pale Ale kit in the fermenter right now (thread titled "First brew in fermenter"). It was my first ever brew, and it was pretty easy. The kit has good directions to follow. It included 2 cans of extract, 2 packs of specialty grains, grain bags, premeasured hop pellets, yeast, and bottle caps. I will update my thread after my first tastetest in about 5 more weeks. I will probably pick up another BB kit or two the next chance I get. Northern and Midwest have some nice choices also, and I like the opportunity to change the yeast. I may just order a couple of their kits instead.

A buddy of mine brought me a Hefe that he made from a BB kit, and it was a very good beer. Go ahead and upgrade if you like, you'll be fine.

When I was doing extract brewing, I made several BB kits- the Octoberfest (ale), the Red ale, the English Pale Ale, and the English Brown. Very good kits, very good quality. I'd recommend them. Also, I've made several AHS kits- the Fat Tire Clone was particularly good.

I have made 5 of the brewers best kits and have tried 3 of them so far. All were good but I like the IPA the best.

Im working with my first BB kit right now, the Irish Stout. So far so good. I'll post the results when it is finished. Im sure you will enjoy the BB kit.

I use the BB kits and they are all pretty good. Now the store I use if I find a brew I like I just ask them to put together a kit just finished a Sam Adams Summer Ale knock off was real good

I also started with BB kits. I definitely think you will see an improvement in your beer and you'll begin to understand how different grains and hops affect the finished product. I would suggest getting a better/fresher yeast. Good luck!

I went ahead and got a BB english brown ale kit. If that turns out well then I think I might try their oktoberfest or german altbier next then move on to one of their stout kits.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Cheers everyone!

Back