What do I do with new rhizomes in September?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frigid4H

Reaction score
A friend of mine is moving and asked me if I wanted some free rhizomes from his Sterling and Centennial plants. I said yes without even thinking about it, of course. Now I'm wondering what to do with them until the spring when I can put them in the ground. I had pretty good luck with my Columbus (3oz dried) and Galena (just a few cones but healthy plant) in their first year this year, so I'm excited to add some flavor hops to the garden.

I'm in Minnesota, and it's about to get wicked cold here, so can I pot them and keep them alive until the spring? Is there anything else I can do to ensure healthy plants next year? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I've read of people keeping theirs in Rubbermaid containers due to not being able to plant in the ground. I dont see why you couldn't keep them alive indoors in them through the winter. No firsthand knowledge to offer though.

What lehr said. The first ones I grew were some roadside hops I found in September/October back in the mid 80's. I followed a vine down to the ground and found a chunk of rhizome with some healthy buds on it. Buried in a trench in a cornfield across the street. Early next Spring it was dug up and planted at a different location. All was well. You'll be fine.

You could plant them just fine. Or stick them in the freezer and plant in the spring. Just as easy to plant now. You might even get a little growth before they quit for the year.

As stated above, in the ground is probably the best place with some mulch or leaves to help insulate a bit. I've also had success in putting rhizomes cut in fall in to pots, then I toss them in my barn in a larger box insulated with leaves from the yard until spring.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to put them in pots and keep them in my basement for the winter. Should stay about the right temperature, and that'll give me time to figure out exactly where I want to plant them.

Hops like to freeze. If it freezes tomorrow the rhizome will preserve. If it doesn't freeze they will begin to root and be even stronger in the spring

Hops like to freeze. If it freezes tomorrow the rhizome will preserve. If it doesn't freeze they will begin to root and be even stronger in the spring

Hello, i am in a similar dilemma, i will get some rhizomes in November. It's ok to plant them in the ground then? I live in Romania, around the 45 parallel. There are pretty expensive for me (i'm a student:)) so i want to make the right choise not to lose them because of freeze or so... Thanks!

bionut said:
Hello, i am in a similar dilemma, i will get some rhizomes in November. It's ok to plant them in the ground then? I live in Romania, around the 45 parallel. There are pretty expensive for me (i'm a student:)) so i want to make the right choise not to lose them because of freeze or so... Thanks!

You should be fine, mulch heavily over where you plant them. That will keep the soil a bit warmer. Just remember that rhizomes have a fairly high rate of failure, so be prepared for some not to make it. If you are really paranoid you can pot them and plant in the spring, just don't make the mistake of giving them too much attention. Too many people feel they need to poke and prod and water their plants all the time and end up killing them.

Side note, I know they grow hops in Bulgaria, not sure how you would go about purchasing plants from there but I know they exist, and it might be closer/cheaper than where your getting them from now, and from the same climate.

You should be fine, mulch heavily over where you plant them. That will keep the soil a bit warmer. Just remember that rhizomes have a fairly high rate of failure, so be prepared for some not to make it. If you are really paranoid you can pot them and plant in the spring, just don't make the mistake of giving them too much attention. Too many people feel they need to poke and prod and water their plants all the time and end up killing them.

Side note, I know they grow hops in Bulgaria, not sure how you would go about purchasing plants from there but I know they exist, and it might be closer/cheaper than where your getting them from now, and from the same climate.

Thank you for the reply, i will search for bulgarian rhizomes, i live at the bulgarian border :-D.

Hello, i just receved five little hop plants from germany and i do not know what to do with them. Should i keep them in pots until spring time or plant outside? I,m afraid that the plants can die outside because are so little. Thanks!

I would bring them inside until you feel that they are large enough to withstand the winter, then stick them in your garage in box or something to give them a mild wintering. JMO

My first hops plants were planted in October a few years ago. The result was that my first year plants produced like second year plants. The got a good start in the fall, weathered the winter well, and got a great start in the spring. You should be fine to plant them now.

Mark

My first hops plants were planted in October a few years ago. The result was that my first year plants produced like second year plants. The got a good start in the fall, weathered the winter well, and got a great start in the spring. You should be fine to plant them now.

Mark

Thanks for the reply! Tomorrow i will plant them outside. Just one question to go, i believe i should mulch over, are leaves for the garden good for mulching? I also can use wheat straws or wood chips... What is the best choice?

If you use 'finished' compost you'll get the insulating/protective benefit of mulch along with a very slow feeding and enrichment of the soil. In a pinch though, any of your above mentioned materials will be better than nothing.

Yeah, plant them now and put a big heap of leaves over them to help insulate for winter, they will be fine.
If you put them in pots in your basement you'll most likely kill'em...

I didn't had compost, i planted in the garden where i have vegetables. I encircled each plant with wire fence to keep animals away and covered with leaves. I am a bit concerned that the leaves are a little wet...

Back