Wort in kettle smells REALLY bad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tall_Yotie

Reaction score
Hey all!

So I am doing a Dunkelweizen. Mostly Wheat and Pilsner. I collected the liquid yesterday, and doing the boil today.

The wort, as it is heating up, smells horrible. It smells like a mash tun that wasn't washed well after the last use or grain after a day.

The wort has been sitting in a covered metal kettle for almost 20 hours. I am hoping this is the wreak of grain bits that got through and DMS, all of which will be saved by the boil. It doesn't smell like sweet beer juice like it normally does.

Has anyone ran into this issue? How did it turn out? I am just looking for some piece of mind. Thanks!

Your wort went sour on you. This is the risk of going the route you did... Wild yeast had fun for sure. I would brew it, age it a really long time and see what happens.

Well, crap. I was wanting this ready in a few weeks (as is such for a wheat beer). Guess I am brewing it again.

A warm mash left for a day is more likely to sour then not. If you can maintain a high temp you might be fine. If it drops around 100 deg some bug is going to have a party

Ja, it is down the drain now. Lesson learned!

I heard of folks mashing over night, but that is all enclosed, so I figure this is not the same thing.

Back