Growler to Bottles and Recarbonate...Possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turfmanbrad

Reaction score
I unfortunately filled up 2 growlers with my first batch of homebrew (as I did with my Mr. Beer in the past). Now, I want to break them down into 12oz bottles because I've given so many away. Is there a way I can put them in the smaller bottles? Since its a gallon, would I use 1oz of priming sugar, or would it be different since they're already carbonated? Any help/advice would be great. Thanks!

i wouldn't see why you couldn't if there is still yeast in the growler, however... i'd be moer worried about oxy. the beer.

Ok, that's a tricky problem. The beer is already carbed, and likely a lot of the yeast has settled. Even if you wanted to jazz up the carbonation to make up for losses while transferring to 12 ouncers, you'd probably have to agitate the growlers to get the yeast evenly distributed before the transfer. And then you'd have to spitball just how much priming to use, without creating a bunch of grenades.

It all seems dicey to me. I'd be inclined to just call it a day, enjoy the growlers as is, and get your next brew going ;)

Cheers!

Back