What size deep socket to remove ball lock fitting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McTarnamins

Reaction score
I bought 3 used corneys on the internet. They arrived in brutal shape :mad: and need all the o-rings replaced.

Anyone know what size deep socket to use to remove them?

On a similar note, one of the ball locks has a 12 point nut and not six. Anyone have experiance removing them? I assume it the same size socket but 12 points instead of 6.

Thanks,

McTarnamins said:
Anyone know what size deep socket to use to remove them?
7/8th socket or boxend wrench.

McTarnamins said:
On a similar note, one of the ball locks has a 12 point nut and not six. Anyone have experiance removing them? I assume it the same size socket but 12 points instead of 6.
Exactly.

Good luck,
Wild

:off: Hey Wild, could you post the Obsidian Stout Clone recipie that's in your sig? That is on of my favorite beers. Can't get it out East.
Thanks

FWIW, ball lock keg fittings come in two sizes. 11/16" and 7/8". When getting a socket, keep in mind that a twelve point socket will fit a six point nut, but a six point socket will not fit a twelve point nut. So it's always good to go with the twelve point socket. As stated above, box wrenches are open on one end and are a closed twelve point on the other.

johnsma22 said:
FWIW, ball lock keg fittings come in two sizes. 11/16" and 7/8". When getting a socket, keep in mind that a twelve point socket will fit a six point nut, but a six point socket will not fit a twelve point nut. So it's always good to go with the twelve point socket. As stated above, box wrenches are open on one end and are a closed twelve point on the other.

Excellent points !

I use a box end wrench because I don't have a deep well 7/8" socket. I intended to buy one then realize that the wrench works just as well as the socket I was using for the 11/16"

shbrewer said:
:off: Hey Wild, could you post the Obsidian Stout Clone recipie that's in your sig? That is on of my favorite beers. Can't get it out East.
Thanks

Check your PMs.

Good luck,
Wild

I keep 12-point, 7/8" and 11/16" combination wrenches in the brew house. The posts only need a quarter turn or so before they unscrew by hand, so I find a ratchet unnecessary.

I also don't mind leaving inexpensive wrenches in the brewery. Not so much with my nice ratchets.

-Joe

P.S. You know what a ratchet is? Why, it's a little bigger than a mouse...

I had a hell of a time trying to use a box wrench to get the posts off my ball-lock corny... No matter how hard I tried, it simply wouldn't budge... Went to Lowe's, got the 7/8" deep socket, and a 12" x 3/4" piece of pipe to fit on the handle of my ratchet... Couple of palm taps on the pipe (extending the 6" handle the ratchet originally had) got them to break free within seconds. I had spent over an hour trying to use the box wrench...

Once you have the socket, you'll not need to worry about it ever again. Even of someone puts the posts on with an impact wrench, you'll be able to get them free with the longer handled ratchet.

Of course, I did just have some 'fun' pulling the spears from 4 Sanke kegs... Had to do them in the tub, since they were still under pressure. I needed to release the pressure before I could pull the rings holding the spears in... I moved to the tub after I was sprayed with brew after hitting the ball in the center of the fitting... Only part of the ceiling got sprayed too... :drunk: Luckily, it cleaned up fast... :D At least I now know what to do for the next set I pick up...

Back