NEMA Plugs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wegz15

Reaction score
So... I picked up some NEMA L7-30s and a great price off ebay. My question is they say the are rated for 30A at 277V. I'm assuming that I can run them just fine one 240V?

Second question, would I be able to use L6-30 male plugs with these ladies? :drunk:

You can always run something at a lower voltage than it is rated for. A 277V receptacle will be perfectly happy with 240V or 220V or 120V or whatever.

You will not be able to use an L6-30 plug with an L7-30 receptacle. The formats are not the same.

L7-30 looks like this:
L07_30r.gif

L6-30 looks like this:
L06_30r.gif

The prongs are not the same.

First, tell me about your set-up. What system are you designing?
Looks like a 30 amp set-up. But, I am assuming that you will be installing a 30amp GFCI to control your system? More specifics and then I can tell you about the NEMA m/f plug/outlet you need.

The one you specified is 2 hots with a ground.

F^&ckin' Walker! I knew you would be lurking! Bwaaa-haa-haa!

I think wgz will need a proper 4 wire setup, but need to hear back.

LOL. I just got curious, because I had never seen a NEMA L7 before and wanted to know what they looked like.

I'm going to bed now.

I'm parting kal's system. I'm cheap... couldn't find any l6-30s....and my l7 30s look like your l6 30s... picture to come...

I take that back... drunk... you are right. So... I just need to replace all l6 30s with l7 30s then? Damn stupid ebay

Phew! Did Walker go to bed yet?
But, I agree with him, I have not seen a NEMA L7. Interesting...

Just match the 7-30P with the 7-30R. A little unorthodox, but it will work.
Better yet:
- either stick wit Kal's 6-30P and 6-30R, or
- go with a 4-prong 15-30R and 15-30P

I will be going with the big Daddy, 15-60R and 15-60P on my 60 amp panel.
Moo-hoo-haa-haa!

Has anyone looked into the waterproof versions of these? I figure if you're going to get a waterproof housing, why not go all the way? I put receptacle versions of the male plug in my conduit box mounted to the keggle, so I can take my cables completely off for storage/maintenance. Makes for a very clean setup, but I want to upgrade it to the waterproof version. Too bad they're REALLY expensive.

Has anyone looked into the waterproof versions of these?

Yes, they are pin type, and (yes) they are expensive! They are typically used in gang boxes on construction sites. However, you may be able to find a pre-assembled male/female cord with connectors at a cheaper rate.

These will be for the heating elements I believe. I will have to check when tomorrow when I'm sober. I'm an electric noob

Back