Good results with S-04 in a barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nateo

Reaction score
Before using S-04 in my barleywine, I read about people having issues with attenuation and alcohol tolerance with that strain, or at least warning against that strain for those reasons.

My BW started at 1.120, 6 days later the krausen fell, and gravity was at 1.022, which is about 81% apparent attenuation. No rousing/special techniques necessary. Hydro sample tastes pretty good. Nice fruitiness with no off-flavors or hot alcohol/solvents.

Started fermentation at 55*, rose to 66* by day 6.

If anyone cares, I can post mash schedule.

Seems like great attenuation for that strain. What was your grain bill and mash temp? And how many packets did you pitch / wort volume. Also do you whirlpool/remove break material?

Grist was 100% pale malt.

Hochkurz decoction mash, dough-in @ 122*, 146* for 45min, and 158* for 30min.
Batch size was 12L/3.2g. "Starter" was the yeast cake from a 12L batch of Best Bitter.

I used the same mash schedule and pitching techniques I use on my big Belgians. I usually get 85-87% with 3787 at 75*+, so I was surprised to get nearly the same attenuation with lower temps and a strain most people consider a poor attenuator with low alcohol tolerance.

I try to whirlpool but it's not super effective for my small batches. I never seem to get a good cone like I do for larger batches.

I guess it shows that if handled properly, yeast can operate pretty far out of their "range." I don't think S-04 is most people's first choice for a 13% ABV brew, but it turned out pretty well for me.

Transfered the beer to secondary with some Hungarian oak cubes. Gravity had dropped to 1.020. Chilled and sampled some. Very thick mouthfeel, with a nicely dry finish. Reminds me of a dry-ish Riesling, only with hops.

Grist was 100% pale malt.

Hochkurz decoction mash, dough-in @ 122*, 146* for 45min, and 158* for 30min.
Batch size was 12L/3.2g. "Starter" was the yeast cake from a 12L batch of Best Bitter.

It helped that you used a previous cake.

I used the same mash schedule and pitching techniques I use on my big Belgians. I usually get 85-87% with 3787 at 75*+, so I was surprised to get nearly the same attenuation with lower temps and a strain most people consider a poor attenuator with low alcohol tolerance.

It's not that its a bad attenuator, I believe its rated for about 73-75%. It's just hit or miss with it's alcohol tolerance.

Transfered the beer to secondary with some Hungarian oak cubes. Gravity had dropped to 1.020. Chilled and sampled some. Very thick mouthfeel, with a nicely dry finish. Reminds me of a dry-ish Riesling, only with hops.

Grats on your results. Sounds like it's gonna be a tasty treat!~

Took a gravity reading again, looks like it'll stay at 1.020. The Hungarian cubes taste interesting. The beer has a toasted almond flavor that I wasn't expecting. The flavors are rounding nicely, but it'll be a while until it's "great."

Back