First bottling done....Need ideas on pipeline

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drathbone

Reaction score
I just bottled my first brew, an American Lager, that came with my brew kit. I now want to get the pipeline going and start something else. I've got some Ed Worts (modified) apfelwein still fermenting, and it will be some time before I even think about bottling that. I need a new beer. Anything easy and tasty I can try out? I I think I'm gonna hold out for a bit before AG. I don't like anything too hoppy like pa/ipa whatsoever. I like stouts, Guiness is good, but I prefer Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. Probably at this point one that is one of my top favorite beers along with arrogant/double bastard. I would be interested to try a stout, but I think I want to stick to something a bit lighter maybe an amber or brown ale. Any suggestions for a (still) newbie that uses extracts would be appreciated. Thanks!!

If you like hops, make a dry hopped IPA. you can make fabulous dry hopped beers with extract, without any additional hardware really.

If you like malt, make an 80 or 90 shilling Scottish ale. they are one of my favorite beers in the world.

If you like lighter beers, make a simple wheat beer. Extract wheat isn't quite the same as a full on Hefe, but that doesn't matter *cause they taste good* ;)

I've had good success using extract for wheat beers, a hefe and a weizenbock. Also had a good dry irish stout. Couldn't get a guinness type of head on it, but a nice taste.

The problem with stouts (at least every stout I have brewed) is that they get a lot of their character from flaked barley.
Unfortunately, this contains a lot of starch, and requires conversion to make good use of it.
The conversion process requires either base malts or diastatic malt extract (which as far as I know is not available in brewing grades in the U.S.A.)
You could however use a partial mash to make a good stout.

-a

If you like hops, make a dry hopped IPA. you can make fabulous dry hopped beers with extract, without any additional hardware really.

If you like malt, make an 80 or 90 shilling Scottish ale. they are one of my favorite beers in the world.

If you like lighter beers, make a simple wheat beer. Extract wheat isn't quite the same as a full on Hefe, but that doesn't matter *cause they taste good* ;)

mmm the 80 or - shilling scottish ale sounds wonderful! can you recomend a good recipee?

Go dark, sounds like you need a dessert beer. A simple Irish Stout would fit that build. I did the Brewers Best kits as my first brew. Nice and easy but a good amount of specialty grains. I did do a taste test the other day, awesome.

Back