Trappist Westvleteren 12

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torchiest

Reaction score
I know this is widely considered the holy grail of beers, the best on the planet. I'm wondering if anyone has tried it, and if it's even possible to get it in the United States. I have a couple friends that are going to Amsterdam next month, and I'm hoping that they will be able to acquire some for me while they're over there. Any thoughts?

I had it a couple of years ago at a bar in Brussels. You are only supposed to be able to buy it at the Abbey and are limited to one case by reservation only. You are not allowed to resale it but bars often do. It is an amazing complex beer. It is somewhat similar to the St Bernardus Abt 12 if you've had that.

The St. Bernardus Abt 12 is the secular version of the westvleteren 12. Our local pub got a shipment in from the Belgian Shop this past saturday and had 6, 8 and 12 available for purchase for <gulp> $25 a bottle. It seemed a little steep, but was definately cheaper than heading to Belgium to get some.

When we were in Belgium a couple years ago we split one and I've got to say that it's pretty freaking fantastic.

Back