BJCP: Multiple entries in one category?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fletch78

Reaction score
I know you can submit the same beverage in multiple categories, but can you submit multiple beers in one category? I couldn't find this answer at bjcp.org.

If I had 5 kickass hefeweizens that were all brewed with different yeasts at different temps with different characters, can you submit them all?

It seems like that would be unfair.

I have seen comps limit entries to 2 beers per category. Have to think each one has it's own set of rules.

The BJCP doesn't run competitions or produce rules for competitions, which is why none are found on their site. They have some standards the competitions have to meet (use of guidelines [not necessarily BJCP], blind judging, fairness, etc).

This happens to be a rule that varies pretty widely among competitions.

All the competitions I've entered specify any restrictions like this in their entry/registration guidelines... if none are listed, then email the organizers to make sure. If there are none, enter as many as you like wherever you'd like. Just be careful that you understand whether the limits are on "Category" or "Sub-Category" ... if there is a "2 beer per *Category*" limit, then you are free to enter 2 15A entries... if there is a "1 beer per *Sub-Category*" limit, then you could enter only 1 15A, but could also enter a beer in B,C, and D as well.

I've seen it done many ways... when in doubt, contact the contest organizers. Organizers are given ranking credits by the BJCP for running competitions, and they take it pretty seriously... you should have an answer quickly.

Back