Cleaning/sanitizing bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powaya

Reaction score
I've been saving glass bottles and will soon use them for my next batch. I only rinsed them out with H20 so far. What should I do before bottling? Any step before sanitizing?

The day you brew, just to be certain they are clean throw them into a bath of oxyclean and make sure you cant see any stuff in them, then sanatize and you'll be ok

Here's my procedure:

1. As soon as I pour the beer out, I rinse the bottle out under the tap.

2. When 24 or mnore have accumulated near the laundry room sink, I rinse them with a bottle washer and place them upside-down in a beer case.

3. On bottling day, they go straight from the case to the sanitizer solution.

After the soak I turn the bottles upside down in the case with some paper towels under it. Once I've pulled the fermentor out and have it ready I start to siphon and bottle. I'd guess it's about 10 minutes for some of the bottles and 1/2 hour for others. As long as the iodine isn't too strong you shouldn't notice if the bottles haven't dried out all the way.

I used to soak, but that took too long. Now I use a Sanitizer Injetctor from Morebeer. I can sanitize two cases in about 10 minutes and am ready to bottle.

I clean them as I empty them, then store.

On bottling day, I fill up the dishwasher, and set to nuclear hot. (Sanitizing rinse/hot wash). Fill as usual.

The dishwasher takes a while to get it done, but it's set it & forget it on the morning of a brewsession.

Bills Brew said:
I used to soak, but that took too long. Now I use a Sanitizer Injetctor from Morebeer. I can sanitize two cases in about 10 minutes and am ready to bottle.
I do the same. I figure a 2 minute contact was the same as allowing it to drip dry on a rack...after 20 mins there's still some solution on it anyway. I also pre-spray my tree -- from the top to the bottom so it's sanitized also.:D

sorry to revitalize this thread, but do you guys bother with a bottle tree? or do you just use the prongs in your dishwasher?

It seems most of the bottle trees dont have handles on them, so is it not possible to transport a full tree?

How about
putting the tree on a kiddies waggon?
waiting until they dry and put them in a box and move them
Bottle where they are washed (go on, move the sink!)

Back