need some wine advice...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I have some peach and some asian pear wine fermenting. I just transferred to clean carboys ( TON of lees in each one) I started each out at 1.080 OG and the peach is now down to 0.994.. and the pear is at 1.004... I figure each will finish at about 10% ABV. Would you add a bit more sugar to raise the ABV a couple of points or leave well enough alone?....red star champagne yeast

Depends on if you're happy with it so far, and how soon you want to drink it. Much like beer, I assume a lower ABV will speed up the aging, not sure though. If I were wanting to boost the gravity, I'd probalby look for some kind of fruit juice to do it with, but I guess that depends on what you think of the flavor so far. Personally, I'd probably let it be the way it is, finish it asap and start a new batch. I normally shoot for a minimum of 1.10 OG.

Depends on if you're happy with it so far, and how soon you want to drink it. Much like beer, I assume a lower ABV will speed up the aging, not sure though. If I were wanting to boost the gravity, I'd probalby look for some kind of fruit juice to do it with, but I guess that depends on what you think of the flavor so far. Personally, I'd probably let it be the way it is, finish it asap and start a new batch. I normally shoot for a minimum of 1.10 OG.

I like the way they taste so far, and I agree that the lower ABV will finish and age quicker. I will probably leave em be. Gonna start some blackberry this weekend I think.

For many fruit wines, I prefer them at 1.085-1.090 OG, which gives a finished gravity of .990 usually. That makes for a nice 12% at 1.085. Any higher, the fruit wines get "hot".

If you have to top up due to the tons of lees, you could top up with a nice fruity commercial white wine- like sauvignon blanc. That will allow you to top up without diluting the wine further.

For many fruit wines, I prefer them at 1.085-1.090 OG, which gives a finished gravity of .990 usually. That makes for a nice 12% at 1.085. Any higher, the fruit wines get "hot".

That's a good point, I do tend to start mine around 1.10, but I normally try for a yeast that will die off and leave some residual sweetness, SG above 1.00. Good luck on the wine.

Back