Specialty IPA: Red IPA India Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to do a 90 min boil on all my beers, it's drives off more unwanted compounds from lightly killed malts. This was just habit and probably unnecessary. The longer boil also adds more color and maybe some extra carmelization. That said, I do 60 min boil now with no noticeable difference. Happy brewing!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks for the reply - I've never done a 90 minute boil before, and wasn't really willing to start now! I think this might be my next brew - thanks for the recipe; I'll let you know how it goes.

I'd love to have a go at brewing this.
I have the Cascade and Amarillo but I don't have any Simcoe and have about 5kg of other hops that want to use up before buying more.

I guess the most suitable from what I have are Summit, Columbus, Nugget or Chinook.

I also have Galaxy, Falconer's flight, Citra

Anyone have any suggestions as to which I could use?

Thanks!:mug:

Edit: I found the orignal recipe online
http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/16268/ira-india-red-ale

I would bitter with the Columbus, and then sub the Simcoe dry hops with Falconers or Citra.

Best Brewing!,
Tim

I'd love to have a go at brewing this.
I have the Cascade and Amarillo but I don't have any Simcoe and have about 5kg of other hops that want to use up before buying more.

I guess the most suitable from what I have are Summit, Columbus, Nugget or Chinook.

I also have Galaxy, Falconer's flight, Citra

Anyone have any suggestions as to which I could use?

Thanks!:mug:

Columbus and citra was really good for me. My second batch of this recipe is ready to be tapped can't wait

Hi Guys,
Thanks a lot of the quick replies. :)
This is on my ever-growing “to brew” list so I will see which of Citra, Colombus and Falconer’s I have leftover by the time I get to it.
BTW what was the hops schedule and yeast for the original recipe from Mosher?
I have a lot of hops for British style beers in the freezer such as Target, Challenger, East Kent, Fuggles, Styrian and Super Styrian.
I was thinking maybe I could do split batch 5 gallons with American hops and 5 gallons with British hops.

Edit:
I found the original recipe here - http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/16268/ira-india-red-ale

Both, (I use BeerTools) SRM for each malt is as follows:

Original:
2-Row 1.6
Munich 5.17
Crystal 90 4.65
Crystal 40 2.07
Black Malt 3.55
------------
17.04 SRM

Lighter Version:
2-Row 1.2
Munich 4.79
Crystal 40 1.92
Crystal 120 2.87
Choc Malt 5.69
----------
16.47 SRM

Important note regarding color, I have moved to a 60 minute boil from 90 minutes, so some of the decrease in darkness is probably due to less carmelization of the wort. You will see I am getting more color from the 2 oz of chocolate and less from the Munich and crystal malts. Also, the increased volume of the recipe brings the SRM down accordingly.
I'm aiming to make this as my first "not straight out of a kit" recipe, and it looks great!
If I take the Original Modified recipe (page 3) and do a 60 min boil instead of a 90 min boil, will that effect the OG, or just lighten the color? I plan on doing a 5 gal Partial Mash batch. Thanks!

I'm aiming to make this as my first "not straight out of a kit" recipe, and it looks great!
If I take the Original Modified recipe (page 3) and do a 60 min boil instead of a 90 min boil, will that effect the OG, or just lighten the color? I plan on doing a 5 gal Partial Mash batch. Thanks!

The 90 minute boil does add a touch of color, but not significant. Every brewer experiences differing volumes of boil-off, so your OG will depend upon how much you boil off per hour. I use 1 gal/hour as my standard and that works for my system. If you want 5.5 gallons at end of brewing, with hops absorption(+/-1/2 gallon), evaporation and boil off, start with 7 gal. at 1 gal per hour. Should hit your OG pretty close.

So this was my first brew!!

I made the mistake of being seduced by saving time. Bottled directly from primary, and disturbed a lot of stuff off the bottom when I did that.

When I crack each bottle I have about 3-4 seconds to softly pour out all the beer in one shot or it gushes all over the place.

That being said, when the perfect pour is achieved it tastes absolutely awesome. I'm going to make it again and do it properly this time.

I've done 4 more batches since this one. I'm very excited.

1400043755949.jpg

So this was my first brew!!

I made the mistake of being seduced by saving time. Bottled directly from primary, and disturbed a lot of stuff off the bottom when I did that.

When I crack each bottle I have about 3-4 seconds to softly pour out all the beer in one shot or it gushes all over the place.

That being said, when the perfect pour is achieved it tastes absolutely awesome. I'm going to make it again and do it properly this time.

I've done 4 more batches since this one. I'm very excited.

I know it's difficult to play the a waiting game but I'm sure as you get more beers done and have some stock then you won't be so tempted to bottle early in the future ;)

Maybe I misunderstood what you meant but as I see it the issue is purely that you bottled too early and not because you bottled from the primary.
Until now I have only ever used a secondary once and that was for aging cider because I was letting it mature for 2 to 3 months.

I know it's difficult to play the a waiting game but I'm sure as you get more beers done and have some stock then you won't be so tempted to bottle early in the future ;)

Maybe I misunderstood what you meant but as I see it the issue is purely that you bottled too early and not because you bottled from the primary.
Until now I have only ever used a secondary once and that was for aging cider because I was letting it mature for 2 to 3 months.

Glad you like the beer! Like Shananigans said, if you bottled before FG, you have extra fermentable sugars in your beer then you added priming sugar, so you have way more carbonation than desired. If you hit FG, you may have simply added too much priming sugar, which would give you the same gusher effect.

FG on this beer should be in the 1.013-1.016 range if you mashed at 152, well oxygenated wort, steady temp and solid yeast performance.

I had it in primary for about 4 weeks.

I figured (wrongly, apparently...) the problem had to do with all the sediment in each bottle. Nucleationb points? If I pour it out softly and quickly, leaving all the sediment in the bottle, the beer is completely fine and doesn't gush. if I wait a few seconds longer, all the stuff on the bottom jars loose and causes the beer to gush and gush until there is next to none left and all the beer i pour into a glass is super cloudy, you can feel the sediment in the beer and it will foam up and over the glass.

I feel I should point out my last post was explaining my thought process and I was in no way claiming to know anything about anything! I appreciate all the help though. Definitely waiting longer next time :D

If you did 4 weeks in primary (must be at FG)and have a lot of trub in your bottles, then your hypothesis may be right on. All that material may cause CO2, to come out of solution rapidly. Keep brewing!

Hey guys,

I am new to home brewing (2-3 batches done and bottled so far) and just came across this post. I am looking at this recipe, and all of the subsequent recipes, and am excited to try my own variation.

I was wondering if I would be able to use vienna malt in this recipe at all? I love the taste of vienna and had good results using it in a previous recipe. I just am not knowledgeable enough to know if there is a way to work it into this recipe. Any advice would be appreciated!

The short answer is yes. You could replace some the pale or Munich with Vienna. I love Vienna too, and use it in combination with pale and Munich in my pale ales and IPAs. As for using it in the IRA recipe, it may get lost among all the Munich and dark crystal malts. If you brew this recipe with Vienna I would replace half the Munich with Vienna. It will lighten the color a little, but might be very good.

Have fun!
Tim

Just brewed the page 5 version of this recipe up on saturday. I'm using the grain bill as a base and hopping with chinook, citra, and cascade.

The fermenter is going off so hard that the stopper keeps blowing out of the carboy. This is the first time I've had that happen.

I'm looking forward to drinking this one.

I have exactly one (extract) brew to my list, and it is still in primary so I can make no real statement about my abilities. But I am a good cook so I can assume I did a decent job.

This brew sounds like exactly what would become my favorite drink.

I often take a nice red ale & mix it 50/50 with an IPA and my wife & I share them.

I'll go back through the thread a few more times & pick a simple extract until I feel confident enough to go AG.

Thanks for posting this!

I'm getting more excited about this beer now. Took a sample today along with the first dry hop addition and it tasted great. I like the residual sweetness that is there.

Unfortunately I forgot my whirlfloc during the boil this time so the beer is much cloudier than my last few batches. It's funny how I've started caring about clarity over time. I may have to rename this Smoke Signal IPA in homage to the haze.

Thinking about bumping up the OG and tweaking the hops. What do you think?

9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 50.6 %
7 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) 39.3 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) 4.2 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) 1.4 %
0.8 oz Midnight Wheat (550.0 SRM) 0.3 %
12.0 oz Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) 4.2 %
1.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min 36.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Apollo [18.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min 5.1 IBUs
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min 3.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.60 %] - Boil 5.0 Hop 4.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Apollo [18.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 Hop 19.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30. Hop 14.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.60 %] - Steep/Wh Hop 15.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Apollo [18.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.60 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Apollo [18.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.60 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 IBUs

Big Red! Well I might not increase the Munich and just up the pale, my personal tastes find that much Munich is too heavy. I've never used Apollo, so no opinion there. What's your OG and IBU ?

The base of this from Radical Brewing by Mosher. I used just 1 oz black instead of 2, and I changed the hops to suit my tastes. This beer won a Gold at Slurp and Burp last year in the "Northwest Style Ale" special category (39 points).

Pale Ale Malt 6.5 lbs
Munich type 1 (10L) 5 lbs.
Crystal 40L .75 lbs
Crystal 90L .5 lbs
Black malt 1 oz

All whole hops
Simcoe(13% aa) 1 oz 60 min
Amarillo(9.3% aa)1 oz 30 min
Cascade (7% aa)1 oz 5 min

Simcoe .5 oz dry hops
Amarillo 1 oz dry hops
Cascade .5 oz dry hops

Mash 153 for 60 min
Collect 7 gallons
to yield 5.5 gal.

American Ale yeast.

Ferment 10 days primary, 7 days secondary with dry hops. Enjoy.
Boil 90 min.

I made this and took it camping. It's almost all gone! My og was 1.05 - fg 1.01.

I am pretty pumped to brew this recipe. I just got back from my LBS with all the ingredients. I was worried that they wouldn't have everything especially the Amarillo hops since its a fairly new store. Actually they didn't have crystal 90 so I was stuck between 60L and 120L so I will have to figure out an adjustment for that and I'm gonna have to use pellets for the dry hop. I didn't want to wait and order whole hops for this. I will be using wlp001 and making a small starter for the first time for this one. One of my many favorite beers is ithica cascazilla, this should be similar but probably better.

I am pretty pumped to brew this recipe. I just got back from my LBS with all the ingredients. I was worried that they wouldn't have everything especially the Amarillo hops since its a fairly new store. Actually they didn't have crystal 90 so I was stuck between 60L and 120L so I will have to figure out an adjustment for that and I'm gonna have to use pellets for the dry hop. I didn't want to wait and order whole hops for this. I will be using wlp001 and making a small starter for the first time for this one. One of my many favorite beers is ithica cascazilla, this should be similar but probably better.

I don't have any issues when I dry hop with pellets. I prefer whole or leaf, but the pellets will soak up some wort and break apart achieving the same affect as the others.

I'm going to brew this recipe but was thinking of changing the 60 min simcoe to FWH. Anyone tried this instead?

Pale Ale Malt 6.5 lbs
Munich type 1 (10L) 5 lbs.
Crystal 40L .75 lbs
Crystal 90L .5 lbs
Black malt 1 oz

All whole hops
Simcoe(13% aa) 1 oz FWH
Amarillo(9.3% aa)1 oz 30 min
Cascade (7% aa)1 oz 5 min

Simcoe .5 oz dry hops
Amarillo 1 oz dry hops
Cascade .5 oz dry hops

Mash 153 for 60 min
Collect 7 gallons
to yield 5.5 gal.

Read through the first 7 pages and didn't notice anyone mention using fresh off the vine hops. I have some 1st year Casade I am thinking of using in this recipe next weekend. Any thoughts or words of wisdom on this idea?

Cheers!!

Read through the first 7 pages and didn't notice anyone mention using fresh off the vine hops. I have some 1st year Casade I am thinking of using in this recipe next weekend. Any thoughts or words of wisdom on this idea?

Cheers!!

I think it's a great idea! Maybe dry hop or add them during a whirl pool or pack them into a hopback

Thanks Teddy4xP. Brewed Sunday and I ended up using them for the 5 min addition. 5 oz is all I had and I have read that a good ratio is 5:1 for wet hops.

This beer looks and smells great already. OG 1.062. Looking forward to taking that first pull.

I brewed the original recipe on Friday. I should have had my burner turned up higher. And I might have had a bit low efficiency. I only hit 1.053 at least I ended up with close to a half gallon extra. Hopefully it still turns out OK.

Thanks Teddy4xP. Brewed Sunday and I ended up using them for the 5 min addition. 5 oz is all I had and I have read that a good ratio is 5:1 for wet hops.

This beer looks and smells great already. OG 1.062. Looking forward to taking that first pull.

Let us know how it comes out!

Cheers,
Tim

I brewed the original recipe on Friday. I should have had my burner turned up higher. And I might have had a bit low efficiency. I only hit 1.053 at least I ended up with close to a half gallon extra. Hopefully it still turns out OK.

I have brewed it down to 1.055 and it was still very tasty, so you should be fine. Let us know how it comes out:)

Cheers,

Tim

This is still my all time favourite beer. Done about 5 batches now, just did my first 10g batch now and it turned out as well as ever. Sometimes it comes out stronger than other times, even still, I call it this India Red Ale recipe "Un-f*^c-up-able" because lord knows I have messed up on other brews but this recipe has so much malt and hops that it balances pretty much every time.

I brewed it first straight out of radical brewing, but have followed some of the tips in this thread to switch up the hops to great effect.

But now dear fellow lovers of this hearty red ale, I want to switch things up pretty radically. I am very inspired by a brew I had recently - Rogue Roguenbier. It had rye and smoked malts, but what I most liked was that it used a Weizen yeast. Wow, hearty red ale with a bit of wheat yeast in it, I loved it.

So, wondering if anyone could help me put together a recipe, I have just purchased the following goodies, I wonder what I should substitute out of the munich or crystal malts..

Cara Red 1kg Whole (Weyermann)*
Cara Wheat Malt WHOLE 1Kg 100 – 140 EBC (Weyermanns)*
Dark Rye Malt Whole 1kg 15-20 EBC (Weyermanns)*
Dark Wheat Malt - Whole Grain 1kg (Weyermanns)*
Oak Smoked Wheat Malt Whole 1kg (Weyermann)*
Rye Malt Whole 1Kg (Weyermanns)*
Wheat - Whole grain 5 EBC 1kg (Weyermanns)*

and I got these yeasts :
Safbrew Abbaye 11.5g*
White Labs WLP320 American Hefe Ale Yeast*

I usually go with the traditional IRA grain bill of
6.5 lb Pale Ale Malt
5.0 lb Munich Malt
0.5lb Crystal 40L
0.5lb Crystal 120L
2.0 oz Carafa 111 525 SRM

BUT, I always say, I want to make this baby Redder, thicker, hoppier, but with a new flavour so I don't get bored..

Any tips appreciated! I definitely want to try this with the wheat yeast.. so far have just used the SAFALE 05

Hey P.O.P, I like the "Un-f*^c-up-able" comment! I agree- all that malt and hops just always seem to make a good beer regardless of any imperfections in process.

Wow, you have some interesting grains to work with there. I am no expert with smoked malts or weisen yeasts, but I do have a good friend who brews a red with a half pound (.22 kg)of smoked malt, and that seems like plenty. This guy also makes a Rye IPA with 10% rye, and that too seems a good amount without being too "ryed". As for the yeasts, I have done my IRA with the Abbey III yeast and it was delicious. Never used a wheat yeast, though I have had some great hoppy beers done with hefe yeast (10 barrel OG wheat IPA is one).

So, just off the cuff here I might do: (just changing 2 malts, any more at once seems like you'd have a tough time determining just what they impart on the beer)

6 lbs Pale
4 lbs Munich
1 lb Rye
.5 lb Smoked malt
0.5lb Crystal 40L
0.5lb Crystal 120L
2.0 oz Carafa 111 525 SRM

Hops? Are you doing the Radical Brewing Cascade/Goldings?

White Labs WLP320 American Hefe Ale Yeast

Best brewing!,

Tim

Timbrewz, I just read your HBT writeup on developing this recipe. Thanks for sharing. This beer sounds great. I like your pic too, great movie.

Timbrewz, I just read your HBT writeup on developing this recipe. Thanks for sharing. This beer sounds great. I like your pic too, great movie.
Thanks Helly, if you peruse this thread you will find a lot of versions of this beer, and it seems nearly everyone has been happy with whatever change they have made.

As for the pic...

:D Life through rose colored glass.

Thanks Helly, if you peruse this thread you will find a lot of versions of this beer, and it seems nearly everyone has been happy with whatever change they have made.

As for the pic...

I will be brewing it sometime soon. Two of my favorite beers are Reds Rye PA from Founders and Big Red Coq from Brewery Vivant. I see some similarities to them in your recipe so I'm excited to try it out.

As for the pic...

I'll be trying it some time soon for sure. Sounds great.

Back