Yeast starter question--are immediate results OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eaglehoo

Reaction score
I just mixed up a 1/2 qt yeast starter with Nottingham dry yeast. This is my first time making a starter. I figured I wouldn't see fermentation for several hours, but there was foaming after no more than 2 hours. Everything smells nice and yeasty. Can I assume this is an OK starter to use, or do results that come this fast mean something is wrong?

It's probably OK but you don't really need a starter with dry yeast. The foaming is mainly the rehydration of that dry yeast, which is something you should do before pitching it. Pitch the yeast to some water that is about 90 degrees or so and let it settle down to the temperature of your wort before you pitch.

Normally you would make a starter with a liquid yeast and let it go for up to 48 hours before you pitch it..

Thanks! The starter is b/c I'm making an old ale that's going to have an OG of 1.090 (although some of that will be sugar additions after the start of fermentation), and I'm sick and tired of my high-gravity beers taking 3 months to carbonate.

Back