When are cones ready?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMO

Reaction score
Some of my plants have nice big cones at the top and tiny ones at toward the bottom that are just starting to bud. How do you all go about harvesting. I'm assuming the ones at the top will start to turn brown before the new ones have finished. Should I pick the ripe ones and dry them, then just add to the bag when the rest are finished. Any recommendations?

if you squeeze them, they should spring back when they are ready. None ready cones will stay indented. The luplin glands in a cross section will also be darker yellow when "ripe"

Good ?.
Take one of the cones you feel is ripe. Mesh the cone b/w your finger and thumb. You may notice some moisture. If the edges of the cone are yellow and drying, it might be time for that cone. Know the moisture content of that cone(as described above).
For the younger hops, they should yield a higher moisture value when meshed.
As soon as you feel the moisture value dropping, pick 'em!
Since you are not in the higher latitudes, I don't know when is best for you. For myself(approx. 48*lat.) it is in August/Sept.

Back