Double Crush

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tetzlaf

Reaction score
I don't want to have to buy a mill just yet and was wondering if I have my LHBS double crush my grain would that to anything productive or just ruin it.

Matt

I routinely double crush my grain at the LHBS. The gap is set a bit wider than I would if it were mine, and I believe the second run through crushes some of the grains that made it through untouched the first time.

I don't think it would ruin it. Generally it is double crushed because the initial crush is not fine enough. Running it through another time seems to crush it finer resulting in better extraction.

Are you having problems with efficiency?

I also routinely double crush at my LHBS. I've even triple-crushed before.

My efficiency is around 70% but I am a batch sparger and I think I can do a bit better. I think the crush is holding me back. This will be a test to see.

Matt

Did two batches this weekend with grain I had double crushed. Did single infusion for 60mins and followed with the Batch Sparge technique using a mashout. Collected, measured, and then split what I needed into two more batches, stirred good for a few mins then drained. Example: Collected 3.5gal from mash w/mashout, then 1.75gal and another 1.75.

On the first batch everything went very nice got an efficiency into the pot of about 79%. The second batch I had a problem with dough balls but got them chewed up good. On the first runnings I didn't get a stuck sparge but it slowed to a trickle. Second and third runnings came through good. Got an efficiency of 80%.

Worked out real nice but I didn't dilute the wort so I will have a couple bigger beers in a about 5 weeks.

Matt

Latest posts

Back