My HERMS Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumbys_Brew

Reaction score
just the beginings of my HERMS build. The HLT will be directly heated. here are some pics of what i have done so far not much, but it is a start.

Here is the HLT
IMG000721.jpg

Iside of HERMS HLT with SS HEX COIL
IMG000732.jpg

QD's from McMaster's I'll be using on all Ball Valves
IMG000741.jpg

IMG00075.jpg

all i need really to get it up and running is a pump and motor for the stirrer.

this system is basically from The POL with the exception of not being electric and the HLT being SS and not a cooler.

What size tubing are you using on your HEX coil?

Are those QD's stainless or aluminum?

Looking good so far, I really like that idea of putting the lines through the skirt like that, less leak points.

Yhe coil is 3/8 but connections on coil are 1/2 inch and the connections actually brass.

I want to down the road have the coil like yours

Very nice, I bought a coil of 1/2" stainless tubing to redo mine but the walls are too thick to bend.

Yeah I didn't do any bending myself just ordered an SS IC chiller from midwest and put some connections on it. Only down side is ill have to cut it when I go to put the compression fittings and QDs through the keggle walls

Very nice, I bought a coil of 1/2" stainless tubing to redo mine but the walls are too thick to bend.

How thick are the walls? I was able to reduce the diameter of my coil to 14" (my goal) pretty easily with the help of a friend, a 12" OD kettle, and some man power. I bet if we kept redoing the coiling it would continue to get smaller. For any 90º or other sever bend, you will need a bending tool.

I just about forgot about this thread. But here is the manually controlled h.e.r.m.s. Not much but gets the job done. The hlt has sight glass thermometer and stainless steel pickup tube all from brewhardware.com. The mlt has a locline through the cooler lid for recirculation and sparging and a thermometer cooler assembly from brewhardware.com. And a false bottom. The boil kettle is simply a keggle with a ball valve. All connection points are quick disconnects. Apologize for the cell phone pics.

ForumRunner_20131228_191920.jpg

ForumRunner_20131228_191952.jpg

ForumRunner_20131228_192019.jpg

ForumRunner_20131228_192048.jpg

ForumRunner_20131228_192119.jpg

Back