My 4th Batch this time w/foam control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kryolla

Reaction score
My 4th batch which is an EdWort haus pale ale extract with specialty grain. No boil over thanks to fermcap S. This stuff works really well, I was waiting for the boil and the foam started happening so I put a few drops and the foam disappeared and all I had was a good rolling boil. I also did a late extract and foam started happening again so I used some more and no boil over. I had a 3g boil in a 4g pot and I will use it for all my batches now.

This is my first recipe which I took from EdWort thread and used beersmith to get my hop utilization according to my boil size and 5.4 AA and then I had to tweak the amount of first extract to get the right hop utilization to meet the standards. So with 3g boil and 2 # of extract I was able to hit 30 IBU. The last 15 minutes I added the rest of the extract about 6 # and started my continous hop additions. So my hop adds were 1 oz at 60, 1/2 oz at 30 and last 15 minutes I continously added the last 1/2 oz. Also added a half tab of whirlfloc.

I'm getting my pipeline started I have 5g of hefe that will be ready next weekend. 5g of blue moon cloon that will be ready in about 3-4 weeks and now 5g of haus pale ale which will be ready in 5-6 weeks. In 2 weeks I will brew a blonde ale while I get the equipment to go AG for my sweet stout. I'm a firm believer on letting your beer age now. I tried a bottle from BB American Amber I brewed on 12-30 and everything seemed to blend together now not too sweet and the hops has come through.

Yup, I used fermcaps yesterday for the first time. I was able to easily boil about 5 gallons in a 5.5 gallon pot. Just topped off throughout the boil with fresh boiling water from another pot to more or less do a full boil.

Back