Palm wine.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I understand, palm wine is a VERY fast fermenting, moderately high alcohol hooch that tastes rather hot and even foul at times. I think you could easily approximate it with any number of easily fermentable sugars and an aggressive yeast strain...but that would be...well...hooch.

Perhaps you could take this in a different direction by using some fresh sugar cane in a mead-like recipe?

I have a friend it the Peace Corps who will be coming home in about 8 weeks. He's bringing spices to season the beef kebabs. I'm trying to sate his acquired taste for palm wine. He says it usually has bugs in it. If I can figure out how to make this stuff I'll have to figure out what bugs to use.

I have a friend it the Peace Corps who will be coming home in about 8 weeks. He's bringing spices to season the beef kebabs. I'm trying to sate his acquired taste for palm wine. He says it usually has bugs in it. If I can figure out how to make this stuff I'll have to figure out what bugs to use.

Do you think he'll be terribly disappointed if you skip the bugs????!!!

Good luck on your quest.

I researched this a while ago, and what I came up with, is basically they tap the palm tree, and get the liquid to flow, then let it sit for about 12-24 hours, and because there is so much natural yeast in it, it become "wine" in about that amount of time. THEN you have to drink it rather quickly as the acetobacter takes over and makes palm vinegar.

In Guam they call it "Tuba". Worst hangover ever.....3 days of the squirts and all kinds of funny sounds coming from all over.

I've got it.
Tap a maple tree, collect the sap WITHOUT a cover to keep the bugs out.
Add yeast.
Drink and try to enjoy.
(Bit late in the year to tap maple trees though...)

In Guam they call it "Tuba". Worst hangover ever.....3 days of the squirts and all kinds of funny sounds coming from all over.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hey...MSatt,

You don't seem to do a lot of posting, but when you do...Man!!!

IT'S KILLER STUFF!!!

Please, do like Paul Harvey...now, give us the rest of the story!

Thanks,

Pogo

Back