Priming 5 litre mini-kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian kay

Reaction score
I'm Planning on moving from bottles to 5l mini kegs to save loads of time. i have been reading alot about carbing in 5gl kegs, but that will not be possible as the system i'll be using use 8 oz co2 bullets so i can only add co2 when i plan to drink from a keg :drunk: so to get my beer to carb shold i add Priming sugar before i keg and how much and shold i go from fermenter to keg or secondary to keg and how long before i can Drink my brew from the keg :tank:

I haven't used mini-kegs for over ten years, but just recently picked up a few that I will fill this weekend. In preparation for that I was doing some research and found some documents that will answer your questions:

http://www.brew-winemaking.com/ProductPDF/4900.pdf

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/Hi-Res/mini-keg-system.pdf

Long story short - you'll use about a tablespoon per minikeg. Be sure to leave an inch of headspace. You don't have to secondary if you don't want. You'll still get the benefit of 'bulk aging' in a minikeg. It'll take a couple weeks to fully carbonate, but your beer may still be a bit green. Most styles of beer get better with age.

Dang, I searched everywhere for that info, including here and couldn't find it. I've been over priming. Over primed the first batch and then cut back for the second, but haven't drunk the second yet and just did the third last night.

Oh well, hopefully they don't turn into footballs.

I've used my 15+ minikegs for years.

Priming is 1 TABLESPOON of CS per keg. I've done 2 for Hefe Weizens with success.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES use 3 TBS...the keg will start to expand and leave the keg unusable.

Hmm... I used a mini for a brown ale about two months ago. I used the standard amount for bottles (3/4 CS per 5 gallons). I wonder if the keg is Hurley-Sized now... Better check it out. And get that sucker in the fridge!

Back