Fermentation stopped after 3 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaltG

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Sierra Nevada Tumbler clone. 12 hours in fermentation seemed pretty aggressive now 3 days later I see nothing from my airlock. is this normal?

Recipe:

2 lb 2-row
3.2 oz crystal 80
3.2 oz smoked malt
1.6 oz choc malt

0.35 oz Perle
0.15 Golding

1/2 pk Safe Ale US-05 dry yeast.

To agree with the others, I'd say it's likely done, especially with such a small batch. Even with 5 gallon batches, its not uncommon for peak fermentation to be done within a few days. Even though there appears to be no action in the airlock, you might still be having some activity. Since you don't have a hydrometer, I would let it sit another few days before bottling, and you should be fine.

I've noticed that when all the rapid bubbling slows or stops,only initial fermentation is done. It'll then slowly,uneventfully creep down to FG. You really need a hydrometer. But another week or so should find it done & settling out clear or slightly misty.

I would let it go for at least 2 weeks if you don't have a hyrdrometer. Gives the yeast time to finish fermenting the beer, plus time to clean up the beer more, and drop out.

Back