Brewtarget 2.0 Update

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Windows 7, running BrewTarget 2.0.2

:(

For reasons I am not understanding, the boil SG calculations are paying attention to the kettle to fermenter losses. I will open the bug report and get the change checked in. In the meantime, use the profile without any kettle to fermenter loss.

Thanks for the help in tracking this down.

Mik

Let me first say that I am a fan of BrewTarget, it is a great tool. In trying to get the most out of it, I am trying to work with the stored Mash section on the bottom of the screen. In playing with it to learn how it works I have created a bunch of test mashes, but now I can't get rid of them. How does one do this, the minus sign at the bottom does not do it.

I must be missing something b/c I can't seem to find 2.0.2 - or at least files that I can run to d/l it - any help out there? Sourceforge is at 2.0.1. Running Win7

Let me first say that I am a fan of BrewTarget, it is a great tool. In trying to get the most out of it, I am trying to work with the stored Mash section on the bottom of the screen. In playing with it to learn how it works I have created a bunch of test mashes, but now I can't get rid of them. How does one do this, the minus sign at the bottom does not do it.

I swear I will clean all of this up one day.

You will need to click the mash paddle in the tool bar at the top of the window. When that window opens, select the mash you want to delete in the drop down list, then click the big minus sign next to the list.

Mik

Thanks, I just found it! Interestingly enough, when you go to the "base" launchpad page:

https://launchpad.net/brewtarget

None of the green download buttons on the right are the Windows version; you have to go to the "External Downloads" link...

I think that is because we don't have a Windows build for 2.0.3. Not sure why that is and I will ask.

Mik

When I export to beer.xml, to add an entry to a competition, it says invalid xml. In the past, I just ignored it and manually entered my entries, but this time, I walked through the errors until I got an entry to submit and the issue is that the contents of many of the fields are using non xml characters. I was able to get a valid xml file by using escape sequences, but it would be nice to have these fields go through an escape converter on export.

For example, one field had
Code:
Bell’s Winter White Ale
but the apostrophe is not valid xml, it should be
Code:
Bell & # 8217 ; s Winter White Ale
*without the spaces, this form evidently converts xml escape characters back to text :)

When I export to beer.xml, to add an entry to a competition, it says invalid xml. In the past, I just ignored it and manually entered my entries, but this time, I walked through the errors until I got an entry to submit and the issue is that the contents of many of the fields are using non xml characters. I was able to get a valid xml file by using escape sequences, but it would be nice to have these fields go through an escape converter on export.

For example, one field had
Code:
Bell’s Winter White Ale
but the apostrophe is not valid xml, it should be
Code:
Bell & # 8217 ; s Winter White Ale
*without the spaces, this form evidently converts xml escape characters back to text :)

I will get a bug report opened on launchpad and look into it. I thought we had fixed this when we did the xml -> database conversion, but apparently not.

Mik

Since this seems to be the active BrewTarget thread with the developers...

Any idea why the Ubuntu repository doesn't have the latest release? Can you guys make your own PPA instead of install a deb file for the latest release?

Any idea why the Ubuntu repository doesn't have the latest release? Can you guys make your own PPA instead of install a deb file for the latest release?

One of us at least.

I try to avoid the build systems if I can. I will ask a few others and see if we can get something posted to brewtarget.org/downloads.

Mik

One of us at least.

I try to avoid the build systems if I can. I will ask a few others and see if we can get something posted to brewtarget.org/downloads.

Mik

Cool, thanks.

I just think it would be beneficial to everyone in the end. You don't have to tell Ubuntu users to update to the latest if it is in the repository or if there was a PPA. I am not a developor or anything but this is my understanding, and I prefer not using debs directly as I like simple updates.

Oh ya, and thanks for the software! :mug:

I asked. The answer seems to be that Ubuntu won't update a package in stable unless it is fixing a show-stopping kind of bug.

I'm not an ubuntu sort of person, but I think we do have a PPA? https://code.launchpad.net/~brewtarget-devs/+archive/ubuntu/brewtarget gives the details.

Don't grab the v2.1.0 build. It isn't quite ripe yet and will likely do bad things to your database.

Mik

I did some digging and this is an oddity with Qt as far as I can tell. It escapes some characters (like ampersands and greater-than signs) like it should, but it doesn't other characters. The really hard part is figuring out how to fix it.

I'm still working on it, but for right now the best I can offer is don't put XML special characters into the names. Yeah, it isn't really a good answer.

Thanks for the response, but looks like only 2.1.0 is in the PPA for 14.04 which I am running. I assume because its meant for the devs to use.

sudo apt-cache policy brewtarget
brewtarget:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 2.1.0-0~20140804~ubuntu14.04.1
Version table:
2.1.0-0~20140804~ubuntu14.04.1 0
500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/brewtarget-devs/brewtarget/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64 Packages
2.0.2-1 0
500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/universe amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

I did some digging and this is an oddity with Qt as far as I can tell. It escapes some characters (like ampersands and greater-than signs) like it should, but it doesn't other characters. The really hard part is figuring out how to fix it.

I'm still working on it, but for right now the best I can offer is don't put XML special characters into the names. Yeah, it isn't really a good answer.

No worries, now that I understand it, I can at least edit the output. Unfortunately, most of the non-escaped characters are in the style notes :(

Brewtarget works and upgrades pretty good in SolydX - (when I can keep that working .... - ....... I spend more time lurking on the SolydX forums trying to fix what I can, instead of using it much) I end up having to use the M$ version more than the Linux version - which, thanks to Mikfire is now working well!! I was never able to do much with any of the *buntu's.

Just a question for the developers -

Is there any way you could add an AAU column to the Hops page? I know it sounds silly, but sometimes it'd be nice/fast to see calculated AAU's for recipes both developed and copied. There's a lot of recipes out there that just list AAU and it'd be nice to add/modify hop additions without doing math on the side.

Just a quick question - again - ....
Due to the latest Micro$haft security updates, I no longer have access to most of the docs and vids on my desktop (says I need elevation) ... i've gone through all of the different fixes mentioned on the net, and no joy!
What I did figure out was to create a new user (#2 account) and give him administrative rights, and then transfer all of my files/videos/info from the original administrator/user (#1 account) to the new user. The only problem has been BrewTarget. I don't want to delete the original user until I can transfer all of my recipes from the BrewTarget on #1 account to the #2 account. So far, transferring the whole BrewTarget to my backup drive, and then copying brewTarget to the #2 account hasn't worked. All I get is an original app w/o my recipes! As you know, I'm pretty much of a computer illiterate, so I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me how to take all of my recipes from the BrewTarget on the #1 account, put them on to my backup drive or onto a flash drive, and then install them into my new BrewTarget on account #2. (I've tried to make it as clear as I can, hope it isn't too confusing.)
TY in advance!

Just a quick question - again - ....
Due to the latest Micro$haft security updates, I no longer have access to most of the docs and vids on my desktop (says I need elevation) ... i've gone through all of the different fixes mentioned on the net, and no joy!
What I did figure out was to create a new user (#2 account) and give him administrative rights, and then transfer all of my files/videos/info from the original administrator/user (#1 account) to the new user. The only problem has been BrewTarget. I don't want to delete the original user until I can transfer all of my recipes from the BrewTarget on #1 account to the #2 account. So far, transferring the whole BrewTarget to my backup drive, and then copying brewTarget to the #2 account hasn't worked. All I get is an original app w/o my recipes! As you know, I'm pretty much of a computer illiterate, so I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me how to take all of my recipes from the BrewTarget on the #1 account, put them on to my backup drive or onto a flash drive, and then install them into my new BrewTarget on account #2. (I've tried to make it as clear as I can, hope it isn't too confusing.)
TY in advance!

I can try, but I need more info. What version of Windows and what version of Brewtarget?

Mik

BrewTarget 2.0.2
Windows 7 Professional - Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
on a Dell Latitude E6400

On a separate note .... is there a way built into BrewTarget to figure the amount of hops needed is the recipe is in %AAU's instead of telling me how may ounces of bittering hops to use?

While I'm at it ... is there a way to figure the grains from an extract recipe? I know nothing can be perfectly exact becuz the maltsters keep their recipes secret, but hopefully there's something that would get me close. TIA

Just installed 2.1 along side 2.0.3,

Honestly, not a fan of the new slider interface, but maybe it's because I'm so used to the old big block/number interface. I guess the biggest let down was that the sliders aren't dynamic - not that I'm sure they need to be dynamic, but when I see a slider I instinctively want to use it.

Like some of the other improvements, but for now I'm going back to 2.0.3 as I'm more comfortable with the GUI.

Would be nice to have the option to switch between "classic interface" and "new interface" for us stalwarts.

:mug:

These are my initial thoughts as well. I'm forcing myself to use the newer version for a month or two to see if I get used to the new UI.

Is there a way to import recipes and equipment only? I have duplicate items in my styles, and ingredients probably from past upgrades. I would like reinstall new and just import my equipment and recipes.

Is there a way to import recipes and equipment only? I have duplicate items in my styles, and ingredients probably from past upgrades. I would like reinstall new and just import my equipment and recipes.

If you select all of the recipes in the tree, you can then right click and select "export". This will export all your recipes to a file. You can then import them into the new version. You will lose brewnotes. I will fix that just as soon as I get a few other things done.

Same will work for equipment. Just don't try to export both the equipment and the recipes at the same time. BeerXML is weird, and I couldn't ever figure any useful way to do both at the same time.

I asked. The answer seems to be that Ubuntu won't update a package in stable unless it is fixing a show-stopping kind of bug.

I'm not an ubuntu sort of person, but I think we do have a PPA? https://code.launchpad.net/~brewtarget-devs/+archive/ubuntu/brewtarget gives the details.

Don't grab the v2.1.0 build. It isn't quite ripe yet and will likely do bad things to your database.

Mik

No, you can't update a package in stable unless it is a critical security fix or critical functionality fix.

That said, I just uploaded the latest version of Brewtarget to the Debian archives tonight and it will be brought into the Ubuntu archives on their next archive sync.

BrewTarget 2.0.2
Windows 7 Professional - Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
on a Dell Latitude E6400

Ugh. Windows is not my best platform.

At a guess, it sounds like you need to copy the database file out of \program files\brewtarget and to anywhere that isn't \program files. Our expected default is C:\Users\[users]\AppData\Roaming\brewtarget.

I would probably copy the old database into place first, start up brewtarget and then go to Tools -> Options -> Directories and change the value to where ever you put the data.

If this doesn't fix the problem, let me know and I will poke at it more.

I was always coming up short on the OG when I entered recipes into BrewTarget from other sources where they define the OG, and other parameters. I always chalked this up to differences in the percent yields in the BT grains data base versus the data bases used to calculate the OG in the recipes. However, I found out that it is due to the inclusion of the kettle to ferrmenter parameter in the equipment profile. Apparently the program compensates for the loss in the BK to fermenter transfer by increasing the Pre-Boil volume by that volume thus diluting the gravity. So for a 5 gallon recipe entered with equipment parameters with “kettle to fermenter losses” of one quart, the recipe parameters are actually for a 5.25 gallon.

I don’t understand the reasoning behind increasing the pre-boil volume by the amount of the “kettle to fermenter losses.” To my mind this parameter is needed to calculate the brewhouse efficiency.
Can you explain?

NealM

I was always coming up short on the OG when I entered recipes into BrewTarget from other sources where they define the OG, and other parameters. I always chalked this up to differences in the percent yields in the BT grains data base versus the data bases used to calculate the OG in the recipes. However, I found out that it is due to the inclusion of the kettle to ferrmenter parameter in the equipment profile. Apparently the program compensates for the loss in the BK to fermenter transfer by increasing the Pre-Boil volume by that volume thus diluting the gravity. So for a 5 gallon recipe entered with equipment parameters with “kettle to fermenter losses” of one quart, the recipe parameters are actually for a 5.25 gallon.

I don’t understand the reasoning behind increasing the pre-boil volume by the amount of the “kettle to fermenter losses.” To my mind this parameter is needed to calculate the brewhouse efficiency.
Can you explain?

NealM

Well, to be honest about it, there isn't any reason. It was a bug. It looks like it was introduced in v2.0.

It should have been fixed in v2.1. If you are on 2.1 and still seeing it, let me know and I will attempt to fix it again.

Mik

It's in version 2.1.0. My work around for now is to set the bk to fermenter losses to zero.
It should be said that I think you are doing a great job on BT, it is a great program.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

It's in version 2.1.0. My work around for now is to set the bk to fermenter losses to zero.
It should be said that I think you are doing a great job on BT, it is a great program.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Thanks for the compliment and thanks for reporting the bug. I will open the ticket and look into fixing this. Again. Because I really thought I had alread fixed this.

Mik

When launching Brewtarget, I'm getting prompted that "multiple databases were found. Do you want to restore the changes you made during your last Brewtarget session, or rollback to before last session's changes?" every time. Doesn't seem to matter if I clicked the save button right before exiting Brewtarget the previous time.

The Brewtarget version is 2.1.0. Running on Windows 7. Installed from download page.

I found a sqlite DB called "tempBackupDatabase.sqlite" in the data directory defined in Tools>Options>Directories. If I manually delete that DB then open Brewtarget, I do not see the message. If I make changes, save them, and exit out of Brewtarget, then I do get the message the next time I open Brewtarget. Seems like this temp DB may not be getting deleted appropriately?

Anyone else seeing similar behavior?

When launching Brewtarget, I'm getting prompted that "multiple databases were found. Do you want to restore the changes you made during your last Brewtarget session, or rollback to before last session's changes?" every time. Doesn't seem to matter if I clicked the save button right before exiting Brewtarget the previous time.

The Brewtarget version is 2.1.0. Running on Windows 7. Installed from download page.

I found a sqlite DB called "tempBackupDatabase.sqlite" in the data directory defined in Tools>Options>Directories. If I manually delete that DB then open Brewtarget, I do not see the message. If I make changes, save them, and exit out of Brewtarget, then I do get the message the next time I open Brewtarget. Seems like this temp DB may not be getting deleted appropriately?

Anyone else seeing similar behavior?

I had that issue, but I was in the process of moving my db from one computer to another so assumed it was something I did.

I renamed the file to tempBackupDatabase.old and the problem went away. This way you can always rename the file extension back to .sqlite if you need it.

-g

I tried renaming the temp database and deleting it. In both cases, it was recreated when I launched Brewtarget and was not deleted when I exited.

I tried renaming the temp database and deleting it. In both cases, it was recreated when I launched Brewtarget and was not deleted when I exited.

The temp database will always be created. Basically, when you open brewtarget we copy the db into the temp. At the end of the session, when we ask if you want to save your changes, if you say "no" we copy that temp db back. If you say "yes", we are supposed to delete the temp.

I am guessing we are not deleting the temp db. There was a change comitted a while back which "simplified" that portion of the code. I will need to go do some spelunking in the commit logs to find it but I suspect that simplification is causing the problems.

I have an almost impossible time keeping my Windows build environment stable/usuable and was really, really hoping this would go away. It hasn't, so I will attempt to get that thing working again.

Mik

Back