Alaskan Amber Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is an extract recipe for an Alaskan Amber Clone that I have done once or twice. Got it from my LHBS:

1lbs 2-row pale malt
.5lbs Crystal 40
.5lbs Carapils
6lbs pale malt extract dry/ 7.5lbs liquid malt extract
1oz Cascade 60 min
1oz Saaz 15 min
1tsp Irish Moss 15 min
Wyeast #1338

I've heard that they use salmon somewhere in the brewing process, I wonder if it does anything.

That is complete BS.....I grew up in Juneau and I can assure you they don't use Salmon.....Nor does their beer include snow from the iditarod trail, or melted glacier water, or orca blubber or hair of the grizzly......

....maybe what you are referring to is the fact that they smoke some of their malts for their smoked porter at Taku Smokeries, a fish processor across the street from the brewery......

I think the salmon reference is loosely related to their Smoked Porter. They did smoke their malt at a salmon processing plant using the same alder wood that is used to smoke salmon.

Alaskan Brewing Company - Our Brew - Alaskan Smoked Porter Story

And while there water might not be directly from the glacier it does originate from a glacier water source.

Water, five types of malt, 2 varieties of hops and yeast with no adjuncts, no preservatives and no pasteurization. Our glacier-fed water originates in the 1,500 square-mile Juneau Ice Field. Prior to brewing, selected malts are smoked in small batches under carefully controlled conditions in a commercial food smoker using local alder wood.

I really like Alasan Amber and searched far and wide with a recipe, but got mixed results. Lots of BS with little feedback. Regardless, I brewed this batch, and it is definitely a keeper. Best Amber I have ever had. Here is the AG recipe:

Grain
9 lbs. 2-Row Pale (Marris Otter)
0.55 lbs. Crystal 60L
0.55 lbs. Crystal 80L

Hops
0.75 oz. Cascade pellet 5.6 AAU @ 60 min.
1.00 oz. Saazer pellet 2.7 AAU @ 15 min.

Yeast
White Labs WLP029 German Ale/Kolsch

Mash Schedule
152F for 90 min
Sparge @ 175F

Other details
Primary: 2 weeks @ 65-70F
Secondary: 2 weeks
Keg: 1 month
OG: 1.060
FG: 1.017
Brewing Efficiency: 78%
Wait 2 full months, after brewing, before serving

Yum, yum, yum
Let me know how yours turns out.

I think the salmon reference is loosely related to their Smoked Porter. They did smoke their malt at a salmon processing plant using the same alder wood that is used to smoke salmon.

Alaskan Brewing Company - Our Brew - Alaskan Smoked Porter Story

And while there water might not be directly from the glacier it does originate from a glacier water source.

Water, five types of malt, 2 varieties of hops and yeast with no adjuncts, no preservatives and no pasteurization. Our glacier-fed water originates in the 1,500 square-mile Juneau Ice Field. Prior to brewing, selected malts are smoked in small batches under carefully controlled conditions in a commercial food smoker using local alder wood.

Sorry, I just had to point out also that this description of their "glacier-fed" water makes it Juneau tap water (it does sound good though, can't blame 'em for using it)....all the water that Juneau gets comes from the ice-fields, most all of it down through the silverbow basin and into Gold creek, the former of which holds my favorite hiking trail in the whole world, Perseverance trail. Juneau is king for Hiking trails!

Thanks I am gonna make this. But I dont have a store that keeps fresh wyeast on hand near by. I use White Labs. Do you think that any yeast meant for a European styled beer would be essentially the same thing? Or at least close enough?

Ok, i put this in brewtarget and I got 1.042 preboil with a SG of 1.046, this has SG of 1.06 which is the standard, is this recipe wrong or is brewtarget?

I am brewing this right now, and I got preboil of 1.042 on 6.3ish gallons of wort.

I really like Alasan Amber and searched far and wide with a recipe, but got mixed results. Lots of BS with little feedback. Regardless, I brewed this batch, and it is definitely a keeper. Best Amber I have ever had. Here is the AG recipe:

Grain
0.55 lbs. Crystal 60L
0.55 lbs. Crystal 80L

Hops

Yeast

Mash Schedule
152F for 90 min
Sparge @ 175F

Other details

Yum, yum, yum

Depends on what efficiency you assume as well as the batch size which is not listed above. I'll assume 5 gallons. 5 gallons and 78% brewhouse efficiency with that grain bill gives an original gravity of 1.059 according to BeerSmith.

I was recently talking to one of their brewers about this beer, and they really stressed the fact that they make it in Alt beer style, And ferment in in the cooler temperature ranges.
Everything else seems about right though.

Grain
0.55 lbs. Crystal 60L
0.55 lbs. Crystal 80L

Hops

Yeast

Mash Schedule
152F for 90 min
Sparge @ 175F

Other details

Yum, yum, yum

Have you compared this to the original? SRM for the original, per the site is 22 - which is darker than you have specs here. Although I think 22 is darker thn I recall the beer when I had it in Seattle. I was going with 80 & 120 for crystal in the one I'm developing and curious on your thoughts on that.

Grain
0.55 lbs. Crystal 60L
0.55 lbs. Crystal 80L

Hops

Yeast

Mash Schedule
152F for 90 min
Sparge @ 175F

Other details

Yum, yum, yum

OK I'll be the idiot here... I thought 2-row and Marris Otter were different...?

MO is a brand of 2 row pale. Somebody tell me why the original Alaskan Clone in this thread uses a pound of 2 row pale in a steep.

Grain
0.55 lbs. Crystal 60L
0.55 lbs. Crystal 80L

Hops

Yeast

Mash Schedule
152F for 90 min
Sparge @ 175F

Other details

Yum, yum, yum

When you say Keg for a month is that just in the keg sealed up or is on CO2 the entire time? I have never made a beer that took longer than 6 weeks so I'm just trying to get it right. Thanks

marris otter is a type of 2 row. Usually you can substitute Maris Otter for 2 row in most recipes. It will give you a slightly darker beer over 2 row, and a crackery, nutty, malty flavor.

Grain
0.55 lbs. Crystal 60L
0.55 lbs. Crystal 80L

Hops

Yeast

Mash Schedule
152F for 90 min
Sparge @ 175F

Other details

Yum, yum, yum

Ok I need to renew this thread, because i just got a look at this recipe and wow it looks yummy, however my question is why is your sparge at 175? I thought 172 is the max you ever want to go because of the release of tannis above 172. So I am putting this question out to whomever can help, I would like to know what the general concenses is on tannins released in the sparge process

Thanks

Ok I need to renew this thread, because i just got a look at this recipe and wow it looks yummy, however my question is why is your sparge at 175? I thought 172 is the max you ever want to go because of the release of tannis above 172. So I am putting this question out to whomever can help, I would like to know what the general concenses is on tannins released in the sparge process

Thanks

I believe 180 is the magic number for tannins. I think the 170-172 number is used just to give you a couple degree buffer. The idea is to raise the temp of the grain bed past 160 to help with conversion. The hotter you can have the sparge water, the easier it will be to raise the grain temp.

Here is an extract recipe for an Alaskan Amber Clone that I have done once or twice. Got it from my LHBS:

1lbs 2-row pale malt
.5lbs Crystal 40
.5lbs Carapils
6lbs pale malt extract dry/ 7.5lbs liquid malt extract
1oz Cascade 60 min
1oz Saaz 15 min
1tsp Irish Moss 15 min
Wyeast #1338

Thanks.. I'd like to try that one as one of my near term brews.

Holy old thread batman. :)

This is what I use and it makes a decent beer. The whole problem is that it's been over ten years since I've had the real thing.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 81.08 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 9.01 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4.50 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.50 %
0.10 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 0.90 %
1.00 oz perele [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 18.2 IBU
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (15 min) Hops 6.6 IBU
1 Pkgs German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) [Starter 35 ml] Yeast-Ale

I like Alaskan Amber and I LOVE smoked salmon.. IN THE BOTTLE.. the twain shall never meet.. but, at the table... mmmmm, makes a great paring. AA and smoked salmon.

HbgBill said:
I like Alaskan Amber and I LOVE smoked salmon.. IN THE BOTTLE.. the twain shall never meet.. but, at the table... mmmmm, makes a great paring. AA and smoked salmon.

The two have never met in a bottle of Alaskan Amber. The closest thing is a smoked porter which is still fish free.

Anybody have any reports on either of the two all grain recipes from this thread? Looking to brew an Alt next month. Thanks

All I can add is go with the OP's crystal malt selection. I went darker and it wasn't close - way too roasty and a tad darker in color than the original. Epic fail and will try again down the road with the OP's selection.

I just polished this batch off and all I can say is wait two months before drinking. The flavor changed so much, but by month two it was spot on. Good basic recipe.

Henry,

I just got back from AK and want to brew this. You say wait 2 months before drinking, but how long before bottling or kegging. I was thinking 1 month in primary and 1 month bottled.

I just brewed this recipe but used a 3 step mash (ala Braumeister). I have also made adjustments to this recipe to make it true to style for the next time around. I will use:

6 gallons of Alaskan Glacier Water
6 lbs Vienna Malt
2 lbs Munich Malt
1 lb Crystal 60L
1 lb Crystal 80L
2 oz Saaz 60 min
1 oz Saax 15 min
German Ale Yeast WPL 029

This make a recipe that Beer Smith2 shows true to style for a Northern German Altbier.

33 IBU
16.3 SRM
ABV 5.1

Grain
0.55 lbs. Crystal 60L
0.55 lbs. Crystal 80L

Hops

Yeast

Mash Schedule
152F for 90 min
Sparge @ 175F

Other details

Yum, yum, yum

I tried this recipe - upsized to 11gal and it turned out awesome!

This is the first beer I kegged. It really turned out great - I could drink it all day long. I prefer it to the commercial version.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

One thing some people have talked about is that the brewery reports the color of this beer as 22 SRM, which would be more of a brown.

If you go to their website, they report all their beer colors in SRM, but the numbers have to be EBC. They are all about twice what you'd expect from the appearance and style of the beer. They even have a stout reported at 119 SRM which would be rather hard to achieve in a 1.065 beer if you are going to put any base malt in it.

I contacted the brewery about the apparent problem with their beer colors and reported SRM. They were kind enough to reply:

"My name is Brian Ross and I work in the lab at Alaskan Brewing Company and studied brewing at Oregon State University. I understand your point on the stated and perceived color of our beers, though I assure you that we are measuring color correctly. It's a measurement that we have made routinely for many years.
In response to your question about why our beer pint pictures don't appear to match the stated SRM level, there are several possible reasons for this. The SRM and EBC scales are based on light transmittance and the color of the transmitting liquid is simply implied based upon % transmittance. Two beers with the same measured SRM can appear to be very different colors. Our Red ale color as compared to an Irish stout is a perfect example of this situation. This is one of the downfalls of the SRM system and is part of the reason that much of the rest of the food industry uses a tri-stimulus color scale which is more 3 dimensional, as compared to the two dimensional SRM scale.

Use of the tri-stimulus scale hasn't become the standard for communication of beer color yet because the equipment for measuring the color of a liquid in tri-stimulus is very expensive. Light path length is also a factor in the perception of color as you probably realize. When we measure SRM, that path length is standardized. In real world perception, the path length and lighting can vary greatly which affects your perception of a beer's color. I hope this helps explain the visual discrepancy.
"

This makes me wonder what it is about their beers which causes all of them to come out with SRM numbers inflated by about a factor of 2. Most of their beers, on paper, don't fit style guidelines because of the SRM, yet the color looks right in their photos. For example, they have a red which looks perfectly red, while the reported SRM is 35. 35 SRM is toward the high end in the style guide for Irish stout and exactly what Beersmith computes as my SRM when I make the standard recipe for that beer.

So, this is interesting. I've never had their beer but was studying up on the Amber to make a birthday present for my priest's wife. Does anyone who has experienced their beer have a theory? Is this beer a bit cloudy so that it scatters as much light as it transmits?

The beer isn't cloudy to md and is quite delicious. I did notice that their bottles vary between a really dark amber bottle and a light amber bottle in the last case I got. Not sure if that can play a difference or not just thought it was weird.

Grain
0.55 lbs. Crystal 60L
0.55 lbs. Crystal 80L

Hops

Yeast

Mash Schedule
152F for 90 min
Sparge @ 175F

Other details

Yum, yum, yum

I am new to brewing but have always loved drinking this beer. I don't own a keg system so does anyone know how to prime this without changing the flavor of the beer? Should I prime with just sugar or use a DME? What is the volume of CO2 I should be shooting for?

Latest posts

Back