First All Grain with First Mistake HA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxkling

Reaction score
So yea...

Totally forgot pre-boil gravity is lower than calculated OG due to boil off. I bought 1lb of DME just in case my efficiency ended up low. So my target OG was 1.060, I cooled a same of preboil wort and saw 1.045. So I added my DME and got 1.060 preboil (cool so I thought). Then coming toward then end of the boil I did some more reading and saw my mistake.... Sweet got 10 min left of the boil, cant wait to see what my OG will be....

:mug:

RDWHAHB...it might turn out a little sweeter due to the IBU difference...but you'll still probably end up with a highly drinkable and possibly great beer. You live and learn.

When I did my first AG, I dumped the the vorlauf from the mash and sparge because I didn't know I was supposed to save it and ended up with ~60% efficiency. The beer still turned out awesome. Happy all grain brewing!

Hah, yeah you're going to end up closer to 1.075 when all is said and done.

No big deal, now you've got a bigger beer.

Almost spot on my friend...

It came out 1.072. Its an all centennial IPA much like the bells 2 hearted so it wont hurt to get a little extra out of it. I think my issue was I kinda convinced myself my efficiency was going to be horrible so I didn't hesitate to dump the DME in. But it turned out to be around 75% it hard to calculate it because of the DME I added.

On the other hand my pond pump IC worked sweet and got it to 68 for pitching temp. fairly fast. But my paint strainer on the end of my auto siphon was horrible though... and ditched it half way through.

The real good news here is you hit you probably would've hit your target OG on your first AG batch and that's good brewing!

Back