Needle valve source?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nspaldi0

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how to finish my gas rail, and I'm having trouble finding needle valves that I can use without having to buy so many adapters. I would like to have 3/8 female flare ends on both ends of the needle valves. Anyone know if this is made? I'm using 3/8 inch flex gas line from the burner and am going to use 1/2 black pipe. I'd like to be able to go straight from the flex line to the needle valve to the black pipe with the least amount of adapters/fittings. I was going to go with adjustable regulators to each burner bu decided to go with needle valves unless you all think I can get enough flame control with gas ball valves. I'm using two bg-14 burners for hlt and bk and one 6 in burner for direct fire mash tun. All help is greatly appreciated.

I can't point you to the needle valves you're looking for, but IMO you should be able to get excellent flame control using only the adjustable regulators (one for each burner). That's the way I would do it. I also think that it works best to buy regulators with the lowest acceptable range. IOW, if you're burner maxes out at 20 psi, get a (0-20 psi) regulator and if it maxes out at 30 psi, get a (0-30) version. The reason is that anything above the max operating pressure for a particular burner is un-usable and the lower range versions will have more "dynamic range" in their adjustment which equates to more precise flame control. IOW again, it won't be as "twitchy" if it's a lower range regulator vs a higher range model. There may be exceptions, but this has been my general experience with the different adjustable regulators.

ebay's gonna be your friend there. My rig's using solenoid valves for the HLT and MLT, but I wanted a needle valve for the boil kettle. Can't say it's THAT much more adjustable that a ball valve, tho, especially for price (I paid $40 or so for mine, and the ones I found at places like MMC were ludicrously expensive)

Latest posts

Back