Wanted to brew today, forgot to make a yeast starter..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrislehr

Reaction score
Will be starting from a WLP007 Dry English Ale yeast that I washed from a previous batch.

I haven't ever pitched from a washed batch without a starter... should I got make a starter as a hurry up and pitch that in 6-8 hours?

Or should I just room temp my washed stuff and pitch that as is, and expect a delayed fermentation start?

literally have my strike water for Strawberry Alarm Clock on.

How old is the slurry? If the answer is less than two weeks, you don't need a starter anyway. If the answer is older, take all of the slurry you have and rinse it (to separate viable from non viable and trub as well as possible) and see how much you have. Compare it to what a white labs vial looks like and make a judgement call.

How old is the slurry? If the answer is less than two weeks, you don't need a starter anyway. If the answer is older, take all of the slurry you have and rinse it (to separate viable from non viable and trub as well as possible) and see how much you have. Compare it to what a white labs vial looks like and make a judgement call.

About 2 weeks now. I suspect I should be able to get more than a WL vial out of it.

Is there ANY benefit to getting a 1 gallon starter going right now, so the yeast have 6-10 hours to acclimate?

I don't think it could hurt, but I wouldn't worry about a gallon sized starter, maybe a liter or two.

OK, just went and shook/combined 4 washings. I have about 7 ounces of slurry that was all dated 10/3 (so a little older than first reported)

OG of this beer is 1.061

I have 7 ounce (200ml) of medium thickness slurry, mrmalty predicting I need 90-110 in the range where I think my yeast is at, so I think I should be OK to essentially pitch this as is.

Back