Short Water Heater Element?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alowell

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I could get a shorter (~4-5" ) extra low or low density water heater element? 1500W 120V. Plumbingsupply.com no longer offers the 4/25" one. I need it for a RIMS tube. Thanks!

Andrew

There have plenty of people using these higher wattage elements in RIMS tubes with 0 problems scorching the wort. It's not really even a concern any more, but it's your system.

1500W is probably just fine inside of a RIMS tube.

However, "short" and "low density" are conflicting goals. You get low watt density by making the element larger and spreading the watts over more area. That's why the ULWD elements are very long and folded back onto themselves.

Yes, I just need a "short element" to fit in the RIMS tube. The overall length of the element has to be short (4-5"), not so much the cumulative length of the element wrapped upon itself.

Another question, maybe another thread. How long woudl it take with say, 20 lbs. of grain, to step mash through the RIMS tube I am talking about (1500W)...let's say to bump up about 20 degrees. I'm looking for a rough answer, not an exact technical one.

Another question, maybe another thread. How long woudl it take with say, 20 lbs. of grain, to step mash through the RIMS tube I am talking about (1500W)...let's say to bump up about 20 degrees. I'm looking for a rough answer, not an exact technical one.

Guesstimating that you'd have 6 or 7 gallons of water in there along with the grain... I can tell you that just heating the water ALONE will take maybe 20 minutes. heating up the 20lbs of grain in addition to that and you're looking at a pretty long ramp. Over half an hour for sure.

Back