Santa came early

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
Well, this proves that Santa doesn't care who is naughty and nice.

This PH meter is really sweet. Auto temperature adjustment, decimals in the hundrenths. Much more then I really need, but I will take it!

XL-5AY49.jpg

Biermann said:
Sweet!! Do you have to store it in a buffer, or calibrate it everytime??

Yes, the electrode needs to be stored in a 4 ph buffer. It is recommended it be calibrated every 15 uses and has an icon to tell you when this should be. It also recommends that you calibrate it daily for complete accuracy, so we will see how that plays out. I figure if it is sitting in buffer solution anyway, why not calibrate it. The calibration is really easy.

You're winning the "the one who dies with the most toys wins" race around here by a long shot! Are you trying to lap everyone again?

BTW - have you been a Mod for a long time or did I just not notice before?

I've been a Mod for a couple months, I just am quiet about it.

I do have the toys, but it is my only real vice! Besides, I think of them as TOOLs, not toys.

I am an old protestant and we have this thing about guilt, so "toys" denotes pleasure, whereas "tools" does denote work. And so if I call all of this work and tools I don't have to be burdened with the guilt. In the same way I have all of these "toys" at work so I feel guilty about going to work. It really is a nice little system.

pH meters have gone a long way. . . I remember working in the lab, and one of my jobs was to calibrate the old pH meters--they were literally the size of a desktop computer with wires, different probes, and you had to use different buffers, etc. It really sucked.

I see the Brewing "Arms Race" has just been heightened. . .I'm going to have to tell my wife my intents on getting a good pH meter now. . .:D

Nice BP.

Just curious, how often do you use a PH meter? I have one but honestly I've ony used it twice, once for a light beer during sparging and once for a dark beer. Now that I know those general numbers, I relly don't need it anymore.

What do you monitor?

I use it almost every brew. I am on a well and the water needs treating. I do this treatment in different ways and so my water is variable. I agree, if you use a good municiple source that has somebody watching it you don't probably need to worry. I just found things were not working very well and traced it back to PH variation. So now I check. It is probably a geeky thing to do, but geeky is as geeky does.

How goes the brew Dude?

Brewpastor said:
I use it almost every brew. I am on a well and the water needs treating. I do this treatment in different ways and so my water is variable. I agree, if you use a good municiple source that has somebody watching it you don't probably need to worry. I just found things were not working very well and traced it back to PH variation. So now I check. I is probably a geeky thing to do, but geeky is as geeky does.

How goes the brew Dude?

Okay, gotcha. I assumed you had some kind of variable in there.

Goin' well...waiting for the boil to happen....

I'm just too lazy to use a pH meter.

What I really want is for the lawnmower elf to visit my pole barn & fix the Troybilt!

Nice meter BP. That is one thing I'd like to invest in the future. I have a need not only for homebrew, but for my upcoming cheese adventures.

Latest posts

Back