Planning to Dry Hop in Primary? Bad idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milwaukee

Reaction score
I've got an all-Centennial IPA that I'm planning to dry hop.

I've previously racked to a secondary and dry hopped that way.

But here's the thing. I'm not real worried about clarity--or an extra week in the primary...

So the plan right now is to give it two weeks in the primary--hopefully confirm that fermentation is wrapped up.

Then just drop the hops (pellet) right into the primary and give them 5 - 7 days.

Then rack and bottle.

Any reason to believe the pellet hops won't settle out if I do things this way? Or am I inviting any problems I just can't think of?

Just trying to keep it simple. And keep my would-be-secondary free for more brew!

as long as fermentation is over i don't see any reason not to dry hop in the primary. i would suggest waiting 2 weeks before bottling but its up to you. if your worried you can either put the hops in a hop bag or put a hop bag over the end of your siphon when you do rack.

+1 I just made a 2 Hearted Clone (All Centennial IPA's rock :rockin:) and Dry Hopped for 10 days in the primary. I just put my pellets in a 5gal paint strainer bag with a shot glass in there to weigh it down, then I pulled the hops out and racked to the keg. It's naturally carbing right now, and will be done in 2 weeks!!!

I dry hop in primary regularly. It has been a great way to save time/effort on brews that don't benefit from secondary (which is most of the beers I brew). I just put whatever hops I am using straight into the fermenter after the first week or three. 1 week with the hops, then cold crash, then keg.

Thanks a ton to everyone for the guidance! I'm going to proceed with all this in mind.

@wyzazz. 2 Hearted was the inspiration for this beer. I'm aiming for something similar.

Thanks again to all for all the advice!

Back