A killer brew session

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I made EdWort's Robust Porter sometime ago and it was a giant hit....with me at least. I've made that recipe twice and thought it'd work well as my holiday ale/winter warmer type thing.

I have the batch planned and all ingredients mashed, measured, etc. I start getting ready to mash in and measure my water, then I realize I added 1/2# black patent and not 1ounce. Damn, this is going to be dark.

Oh hell!!! Let's have some fun.

I find myself tweaking on the fly and not having to reference HBT, and brewing guides or anything and figure it's time to let my brewing loose.

Brew day was epic. My mash tun manifold worked well, the wort smelled like heaven coming out of the mash tun.

This was by MILES the most fun I had over the kettle since I began this hobby almost a year ago. The typical things went awry that always do; a little boil over, I lost some DME to the wind, a burned finger tip, and an exploding krausen.

Now my basement smells like a malty heaven.

Best.Brew.Day.Ever.

The resulting brew is my Pitch Black American Oatmeal Stout.

Days like you had are what this pastime is all about. :)

PS- My EW Robust Porter is now bottle conditioning, but it already tastes great.

Back