Freezing wet hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickwin

Reaction score
I have some first year cascade hops that are ready to harvest, that I want to use in a wet hop pale ale. The problem is I cant brew until next week, so my question is, is it ok to put the wet hops right off the plant into a vacuum bag and throw them in the freezer until I can brew? If i do this would I just throw them into the wort frozen? Thanks

I'm freezing mine this year. My problem is I want to do a wet hopped beer but have to harvest in succession to accumulate enough hops off my two plants to do a full batch. I've harvested each week for three weeks now and am puting them in the new ziploc vacuum freezer bags immediately after picking, vacuuming out the air and throwing them in the freezer. So far seems to be working great. Won't really know until brew day I guess.

Either ziploc or vacuum bag and the freezer is fine. If its only a week, you could probably even get away with in the refrigerator. just pick the coldest spot (usually the meat drawer).

How long would they last? I'm also wanting to vacuum seal my hops and freeze. Not sure if I'll have enough to make it worth the trouble of drying them.

On the bine, you usually have about a 2 week window in which to harvest.

If you dry, vacuum pack in oxygen barrier bag and freeze them, your are looking at a year maybe more depending on how well you did.

Everything else is in between.

Drying them isn't to hard. Just lay them out on a window screen for a day and they will dry out sufficiently under most conditions. For maximum storage life, you would want to get to 15% moisture content or less. If you use all your hops in a year or less, you probably don't need to go that low.

Back