Question for folks order grains form midwest.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohill1981

Reaction score
I was hoping to put in a order to midwest earlier and have them crush my grains... But i was worried that they combine all the grains in one bag .... i had to order more grains than my recipe calls for and i did not want them all mixed in one bag... Anyone familiar with how midwest ships the different grains?

I just ordered a 14-lb grain bill from them last week but it was uncrushed. They did come in separate bags though, and I would assume that they would not mix crushed grains either because they don't know for sure that you are planning to use all of your order in the same brew. Give them a call. They have been very helpful to me when I have called them with questions...

If you order one of their AG recipe kits, they'll combine all of the grains into one bag. If you order everything separately, they'll package it separately. At least that's been my experience.

Just a head's up that the crush on the grains that I've had from Midwest has not been very good. If I re-crush them using a Barley Crusher, I'll get a 5-10% boost on efficiency.

Instruct them as to what you want. I've ordered from them several times and made special request with my brain orders and they have followed my instructions.

I was hoping to put in a order to midwest earlier and have them crush my grains... But i was worried that they combine all the grains in one bag .... i had to order more grains than my recipe calls for and i did not want them all mixed in one bag... Anyone familiar with how midwest ships the different grains?

I live right next to Midwest and go there for all supplies. They really have great turnover of product and fresh items.

They will accomodate your requests, just make sure you have them well spelled out. They will crush grains or ship whole, depending on your preference. Kits will come mixed. Also, their mill is set at .35 usually when I am in their crushing my own (for reference).

Back