Transporting Beer Across the Country

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandmanbrew

Reaction score
I am planning on making a large batch of wheat beer for my wedding in July. The problem is I live in Colorado and the wedding is in Michigan. I'm planning on driving it after it's bottled from CO to MI before the wedding. My question is this, will the altitude change make the beer explode or create a problem after opening them in MI?

the difference in atmospheric pressure between denver and sea level is about 2.5 psi. unless these beers are seriously overcarbed to begin with, you should be fine.

edit: also, you'll be going from an area of low pressure to an area of high. which means as you go, the chance of explosion actually lessens.

i wouldn't adjust carbonation level for the difference either. a bottle is pretty much a closed system so you'll have the same volumes of co2 in either place. after you open the beer in michigan it'll actually keep the carbonation a little longer than it would have in colorado, but the difference should be small.

Not sure where in CO you are, and the correlationg altitude there, but I moved from Las Vegas to Seattle last year and brought about 25 gallons with me in kegs and bottles. This was a change from 2500 feet to sea level. No problem at all. As mentioned above, your beers will be fine.

Well, since the beer is for part of the wedding, I don't think I'm going to be drinking it beore I take it there. And to comment on the 'Where in Colorado am I question', I'm going to be coming from the mile high city, Denver.

Well, since the beer is for part of the wedding, I don't think I'm going to be drinking it beore I take it there. And to comment on the 'Where in Colorado am I question', I'm going to be coming from the mile high city, Denver.

heh, i know i was kidding. missed the ";)"

You should be able to bottle just as usual and have no problems

Perfect, now I just need to plan out when to start it so that I can have it bottled and ready to drive out and also not have it be too old when we drink it, was wheat beer has a shorter shelf life than most.

Perfect, now I just need to plan out when to start it so that I can have it bottled and ready to drive out and also not have it be too old when we drink it, as wheat beer has a shorter shelf life than most.

Back