What water is better for brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It seems that I have soft water. I read somewhere that soft water is better, but when I was asking some other brewers they said hard water is better. Which is it?

Pilsner is good with soft water. You can always add calcium, gypsum, etc. to simulate the water best for a given beer style. Or just RDWHAHB.

I usually dont pay much attention to my water. My tap water is really hard so I just go to the glacier water machine with a couple 5gal jugs. At $.25 a gal its not that bad and since switching to that water my beers have tasted better.

Aside from the style factor, which is accurate what others have said, one reason soft water (not softened, mind you) could be considered "better" is because soft water generally equates to lower pH. Lower pH water is easier and more efficient to mash with because, since the ideal mash pH is usually around 5.4, the mash will get to that pH easier with lower pH water. Also, if continuous sparging, there is less chance of extracting tannins with a lower pH sparge water. But like others have said, taste and style-wise, each has their own place.

Slightly off topic, but does "spring water" tend to be hard or soft? I have been using it recently has doesn't have the heavy chlorination of the tap water around here.

Aside from the style factor, which is accurate what others have said, one reason soft water (not softened, mind you) could be considered "better" is because soft water generally equates to lower pH. Lower pH water is easier and more efficient to mash with because, since the ideal mash pH is usually around 5.4, the mash will get to that pH easier with lower pH water. Also, if continuous sparging, there is less chance of extracting tannins with a lower pH sparge water. But like others have said, taste and style-wise, each has their own place.

That's good because I have soft water. I've been brewing pilsners recently.

I can only find "Sodium Free" Spring Water and drinking water. I wondered if I needed to be adding sodium back in(?)

Back