Accidentally capped some twist off bottles, need advice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehopbandit

Reaction score
As I was going through my leftover, uncapped bottles I noticed that some of them were twist offs. I quickly came to the realization that I more than likely capped a number of twist off bottles yesterday when bottling my brew. I am bottle conditioning an Amber with roughly 4.0 oz of corn priming sugar.

I tried to go through the batch and determine which ones they could have been based on the twist off bottle, but it is impossible to tell since they don't have any distinctive markings and have the same bottle shape.

My question is: Is this going to cause a problem when the bottles begin to carb? I have heard that you are not supposed to use twist offs for this purpose.

I completely blanked on checking the type of bottle when cleaning/sanitizing/bottling. I have learned my lesson now, but am a little worried at what problems this might cause for this batch. Any advice? Thanks.

I did this before and it was pretty hit or miss. Some were perfectly fine. Others were undercarbed. None of them came out completely flat.

Thanks for the replies! I am ok with the risk of undercarbonation, but have read that the twist offs are potentially not as strong structurally as the pry-offs. I can't vouch for the merit of that statement, but is there any risk that these twist offs will be more susceptible to turning into bottle bombs?

You shouldn't have to worry about bottle bombs, if anything the top will just pop off. Some people with bench cappers use twist offs with no problems. If you are worried you can go through them all and try to pry off with your thumb. If none pop off you should be fine.

My brother did this by accident one time. They were fine.
I'm not sure it that's typical, but at least that time they were fine.

I don't really know for sure, but I thought the main problem with twist-offs is that they were more likely to break when you cap them with a wing-style capper. Once they are capped I think the biggest risk is that they will leak a little bit and not carb up right.

I accidently capped a twist off a few years ago. I put it in the car and went to my brother’s house an hour away. Standing in the kitchen I held up the bottle to the light going on about something, I don’t remembeer. I grazed the cap with my fingernail and it flew up and hit the ceiling.

The beer was good though. Still funny.

I had to use some twist-offs once because I ran out of bottles and happened to have an empty 6-pack of yuengling sitting around. they worked fine. may not be *perfect* but it will be beer

:mug:

Main issue is what some others have stated, inconsistent seal on the cap. I bottled a stout a couple months ago. Little did I realize, I overcarbed the batch. There were a few twist offs in the bunch that didn't fully carb which was fine because those turned out to be the best ones. Depending on how forceful I was on the pressure while capping, some did fully seal so it can go both ways.

Back