I think I might have screwed up...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janson745

Reaction score
So I'm going through my inventory today, and I realize that I have an extra bag of priming sugar. So I'm pretty sure that my last batch I bottled, a BMC Light clone, never got priming sugar - just bottled Wort.

So can I save this batch by putting the bottles back into a bottling bucket and adding priming sugar, then re-bottling?

Have you tried any? I would try a few I've bottled ciders and they had a little carbonation even if I didn't put carbing sugar in it. I guess it depends on if the yeast are all gone or there aren't any fermentable sugars left.

Do not empty the bottles! This will just oxidize your beer and ultimately they would taste like wet cardboard.

You can boil a cup of water and dissolve your priming sugar and cool in a sanitized cup and use an eye dropper full of priming sugar solution into each bottle and re-cap, skip the priming sugar and add carbonation tabs to each bottle and re-cap.

OP - bottled flat beer, not wort. If you bottled wort, then I'd suggest it isn't just priming sugar you forgot.

jajao44 is right on if there is some carb you might want to give a few more days. Sometimes just stiring the yeast can cause a little more wort to ferment PLUS what if you are just up a priming sugar pack? (I know doubtful, but caution with bottle bomes seems prudent here)

Duboman has a good suggestion - that is mixing with water and putting it in the bottles. Your suggestion of putting all the bottles back in the bucket and repriming and refilling is the generally listed on in the books.

IF I were doing it, I'd try the eye droper. I'd be a little concerned about head space in the bottle (I usually leave a few inches, although I notice commercial brewers leave almost none). Walmart has a plunger/droper in the medicine area for dosing out liquid medicine. I think it is like $2 or $3 and has a max size of eithe r5ml (1tsp) or 10ml(2tsp). With this you could quickly fill and empty it into your bottles and be sure you got a constant amount of liquid in each. I don't know how much you want to add to each, it depends on your final priming solution volume and the number of bottles you have. A typical cup of liquid is about 240ml, so with 48 bottles youd do 5ml each (5*48=240)

good luck

I would grab some carb tabs. open, drop in, and cap. No worrying about getting too little or too much priming solution in each one. Easy and done

I would grab some carb tabs. open, drop in, and cap. No worrying about getting too little or too much priming solution in each one. Easy and done

This is what I would do. Make sure that there is no carb in the beer before you do this or BOOOOM.

Yous guys are awesome. Thank you for the quick replies. I have tested 2, both flat as flat can be. No bubbles/head at all when poured directly in the center of the mug.

I will be picking up some carb tabs. Already called the LHBS and they have a couple options.

So, with the carbonation tablets, do I have to wait 2-3 more weeks or do the tabs Carb 'em up a lot quicker?

Chalmer - Ha. Yeah, that is probably true. But I've got a few friends who don't like good beer... So I'm making something the ladies and manly-challenged dudes can drink and enjoy.

BMC drinkers will have to settle for an American wheat of some kind .... if I have any ... or bring their own.

janson745 said:
So, with the carbonation tablets, do I have to wait 2-3 more weeks or do the tabs Carb 'em up a lot quicker?

Yes you will still need to wait. The tabs are basically pre measured crystalized/dried priming sugar per bottle.

The yeast still need to do their thing with it.

Back